Monday, May 23, 2016

EASY STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE

This Strawberry Cheesecake is one of those recipes that ended up being enough different I have to say it was inspired by a particular recipe. 

The particular recipe was Mrs. Paul Schrock from Marion, Michigan and was in Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook (Desserts). Mrs. Schrock called her recipe simply Blueberry Dessert. 

The first change I made was using a purchased graham cracker crust instead of making my own graham cracker crust and using an 8 x 11 - inch glas baking dish. Why? All I can say is I was just feeling too lazy. I had the pie crust and the sizes are similar.

The next change I made was using a can of strawberry pie filling instead of the blueberry one. Why? I really thought I had a blueberry pie filling, but when I looked and relooked, I realized I didn't. I had the strawberry one (along with others, i.e. peach, raspberry, cherry, and lemon) and thought that sounded good.

The third change I made was using Neufchatel cheese which is 1/3 less fat than cream cheese instead of a package of cream cheese. Why? I am more likely to use a less fat/fat free cream cheese when I think it will work. The cream cheese is baked in this dessert so I felt it would work fine. (and it did)

The last change I made was using only 3/4 cup sugar instead of 1 cup. Why? When I measured out the sugar, I didn't have a cup full and there was not another package of sugar in my pantry. I considered using my truvia baking blend (sugar/stevia) that uses 1/2 the measured amount, but wasn't sure how it would work with the less fat cream cheese. (It probably would have worked fine, but I didn't want the dessert to flop since I was making it for my canasta group.) I repoured it into a 3/4 measuring cup to see how if it "fit". I had a slight round to the sugar in the measuring cup.

I am going to share with you my inspired recipe and Mrs. Schrock's original recipe for you to choose from.



EASY STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE

1       8 - ounce package Neufchatel Cheese (softened) (or regular cream cheese)
3/4   cup sugar
2      eggs, room temperature
1       21 - ounce can strawberry pie filling (or your favorite)
1       9 - inch graham cracker crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Let cream cheese softened to room temperature.


Beat the cheese, sugar, and eggs using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.


Pour creamed mixture into pie crust.


Bake for about 35 minutes, or until brown around the edges.


Cool completely.


Spread pie filling over the cooled "cake".


Refrigerate until ready to serve. I made mine the day before.






MRS. SCHROCK'S BLUEBERRY DESSERT

1-1/2       cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2          cup butter or margarine, melted
1              (8 - ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2             eggs
1              cup sugar
1              (21 - ounce) can blueberry pie filling
Whipped topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine graham cracker crumbs, and melted butter. Pres into 8 x 11 - inch glass baking dish.

Mix cream cheese, eggs, and sugar until smooth and pour over crumb crust.

Bake 20 minutes or until brown around edges. Cool.

Spread pie filling over cream cheese layer.

Top with whipped topping if desired.

This cheesecake was so easy. I know I will be making it again and trying a different variety of pie filling on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment