Friday, April 22, 2016

OATMEAL-CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

"Better than Starbucks!" That's what the serviceman in the tax office at Fort Leavenworth stopped to tell me after taking one bite of these Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies. The ladies in the office just wanted to know if the recipe was on my blog. 

My husband and I had to file an amendment to our tax returns and I just couldn't go without taking them some "goodie" to eat. These cookies were so fast and easy and so good. I haven't eaten a cookie from Starbucks so I can't say if I agree with him or not. I can say I thought they were really good too.

The recipe came from a 1978 cookbook I bought at an estate sale (where else would I find one?) called Treasury of Baking Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens. It has a basic drop cookie recipe and then shares 5 different varieties of it. I plan to try a couple of the other one soon.



OATMEAL-CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1/2       cup granulated sugar
1/4       cup packed brown sugar
1/4       cup butter or margarine (I did use butter)
1/4       cup shortening
1           egg
1           teaspoon vanilla
2          tablespoons milk
1           cup all-purpose flour
3/4      teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1           cup quick oats
1           cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces (I used 60% cacao dark chips)
1/2       cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, butter, shortening, egg, vanilla, and milk till light and fluffy.


Stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, oats, chips and walnuts.


Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Blend well.


Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes. (I used a small cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon.) (I tried these cookies on  a greased cookie sheet and on parchment lined cookie sheet. I preferred the latter. The edges wanted to cook too much around the edges on the greased cookie sheet. I had to cook them the full time on the parchment paper.)


Allow cookies to cool about 30 seconds before removing them to cool on a wire rack.



Makes almost 3-1/2 dozens.


The cookies cooked just on a greased cookie sheet


On the parchment paper


The cookie on the left was baked on the greased cookie sheet and the one on the right was baked on parchment paper. You can make your own decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment