Friday, April 1, 2016

SOUTHWESTERN-STYLE MEAT LOAF

I shouldn't be surprised anymore how much my husband loves meat loaf. He will rarely pass it up if it is on the menu. I feel really guilty that I don't make it more often for him. 

Because of that (guilt), when I saw this recipe in a new cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes - with bonus chapters: 5-Ingredient Recipes & One-Dish Dinners) I got at a recent estate sale, I knew I had to try it. I had to do a double take because you don't make it in a slow cooker. I guess it falls under those bonus chapters.

When we bought a jar of salsa, he chose the thick and chunky hot salsa over the other ones. He also decided he wanted me to use ground turkey instead of the beef. When I was mixing it up, I asked him if he wanted me to include the raisins. He said, "Yeah, use the golden raisins. Just follow the recipe will be okay." Then I told him it also contained a little cloves. (know he doesn't like cloves.) He backed down and told me I could leave them out. (Not surprised.)

He wanted me to try it after he took a bite. He said it only had a slight kick. He is always surprised how the little bit of cinnamon changes the taste of foods. (He has a chili recipe he makes that contains cinnamon.)
I told him that would be too much of a kick and besides the salsa had big chunks of onions and peppers (which I don't like.)

Anyway, the results were a big success. I will be cutting thick slices to freeze for him so he can enjoy it at home anytime he wants to.


SOUTHWESTERN-STYLE MEAT LOAF

1         slightly beaten egg
3/4    cup soft bread crumbs (1 slice bread)
3/4    cup salsa
1/3     cup raisins
1/4     cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
1/4     cup finely chopped onion
1/2     teaspoon sugar
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/4     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8     teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2  pounds lean ground beef (ground turkey works well, also)
1/4     cup salsa
Additional salsa, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the eff, bread crumbs, the 3/4 cup salsa, raisins, almonds, onion, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.

 Add round beef and mix well.

In a shallow baking pan pat the meat mixture into an 8 x 4 x 2 - inch oval loaf. (OR pat meat mixture into an 8 x 4 x 2 - inch loaf pan.)

Bake in  oven for hour.

Drain off fat. (You may need some help doing this. I did.)

Insert a meat thermometer into cent of loaf. Spoon the 1/4 cup salsa over the meat loaf.
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until thermometer registers 160 degrees. (I had to bake it for 15 more minutes. My thermometer wasn't one to stay in the oven.It registered a little more 160 degrees, but my husband said that was okay.)

Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

To serve, slice meat loaf with a thin-bladed, serrated knife. If desired, serve meat loaf with additional salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment