Friday, February 19, 2016

CHOCOLATE CHEER-UP COOKIIES

I certainly think if I needed cheering up, chocolate would help. Agreed?

This recipe with the cute name of Chocolate Cheer-Up Cookies is an original recipe by Beverly Lewis's daughter Julie and in her The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook. Bev notes, "The perfect encouragement gift for a shut-in or sad friend...Delicious!" 

I thought I would make a batch and take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop this past Tuesday. I had some white peppermint M & M's that were red and white that I thought I would use. I hadn't opened the package beforehand and was surprised when they were so large. Regular M & M's  would probably look a little better, but the volunteer at Hillcrest loved the peppermint taste. Dana said she thought the cookie would taste good even without them. I agree with Dana. They should definitely be stored in a container with a lid. .... unless you like really crunchy cookies. They are softer and moist when stored in a cookie jar with a lid or a similar container.


CHOCOLATE CHEER-UP COOKIES

1/2       cup butter
1           egg
1/3       cup sugar
1/2       cup brown sugar
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1           cup sifted flour
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2    oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
1/2       cup M & M's

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. (I did the latter.)

Combine together the butter, egg, sugars, and vanilla. (I heated the stick of butter in the microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to soften it a little first.) Beat until smooth.

Sift together the dry ingredients. (I sifted the flour before I measured it.)

Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.

Stir in melted chocolate. (I used 3 squares (1/2 oz each) of Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet premium baking bar. I heated it on 50% power for 1 minute and stirred til melted. I "stirred" it with my mixer to make sure the chocolate was well incorporated.)

Add the M & M's using a spoon or spatula.

Drop dough on cookie sheet using a cookie scoop, at least 2 inches apart. Cookies do spread when baked. (Mine holds 1 tablespoon of water.)

Bake 9 - 10 minutes. 

Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment