Friday, February 12, 2016

APPLESAUCE SWEET POTATOES

If you read my blog very often, you are aware of my love for sweet potatoes. My latest (until this post) recipe for sweet potato biscuits, has quickly become a favorite. I saw this recipe for Applesauce Sweet Potatoes in a Taste of Home magazine I saw in a waiting room recently. 

I didn't wait too long to give it a try AND we LOVE them. The original recipe was credited to Pamela Allen of Marysville, OH. I changed the amounts because I didn't use 3 lbs of sweet potatoes, but I will share her recipe with you. I did substitute chunky peachy applesauce (which was great, btw) I also changed the cooking time. Even my smaller amount would not have been ready cooking on LOW for 4 - 5 hours.


APPLESAUCE SWEET POTATOES

3        lbs. sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and sliced
1-1/2  cups unsweetened applesauce (I did use chunky peachy applesauce)
2/3    cups packed brown sugar
3        tablespoons butter, melted
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2     cup glazed pecans, chopped , optional (I did plan to add these and then forgot when I had to change the cooking temperature.)

Place prepared sweet potatoes in a 4-quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. 

In a bowl, mix the applesauce, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon.

Pour over sweet potatoes.

Cook, covered, on HIGH for 3 - 4 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender. (The top ones didn't look done, but tested done. The ones underneath looked perfect.)


If desired, sprinkle with glazed pecans before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment