Wednesday, February 3, 2016

PARMESAN CHICKEN AND BISCUIT PIE

When my husband and I went to an estate sale in our neighborhood a week or so ago, I couldn't believe all of the cookbooks were just 2 for $1. I showed real control though and believe it or not, I only picked out two. They were really nice cookbook, too. They looked brand new. I had to not look too closely at them. 

One of the cookbook I got was Anne Byrn's the Dinner Doctor, Quick Cooking When Time Is Short. I have her the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook and really like it. When I wanted to make a "casserole" that would feed us for several meals, I picked it up to see what I could find.

What I found was in a section called one-dish comfort food. What is it about the title "comfort food" that makes you want to eat it? I stayed fairly close to the recipe and only made three changes. I had a 12 - ounce can of chicken, made my own homemade biscuits (see my original recipe here for best Buttermilk Biscuits you'll ever eat), and added some parsley flakes. Well, it did bring us a lot of comfort eating it and it didn't take long either.



PARMESAN CHICKEN AND BISCUIT PIE

2       cups shredded cooked chicken or a 12-ounce can of chicken
2       cups frozen mixed vegetables or canned vegetables would work
1        can (10.75 ounces) cream of chicken soup
Half a soup can (about 5-1/2 ounces) of heavy cream or half-and-half (I used the latter.)
1/4    teaspoon black pepper
1        tablespoon parsley flakes
6       unbaked frozen biscuits (or make your own)
3       tablespoons pre-grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 11 x 7 - inch (2 quart) glass or ceramic baking dish. (I used a deep glass baking dish that measured 9 x 7 x 2-1/2 inches - 11 cups)


Combine the chicken, frozen vegetables, chicken soup, and cream in a large mixing bowl.


Season with the black pepper and parsley flakes.


Pour into baking dish and smooth the top.


Arrange the biscuits on top of the filling.


Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with the Parmesan cheese.


Bake the pie until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. ( I cooked mine 20 minutes but next time will cook them the 25. The center wasn't as hot.)


Serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment