Tuesday, December 16, 2014

SKILLET CAKE (UPSIDE DOWN CAKE)

This is the third recipe I tried for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.  It is actually the first one I made, but remember I left out the milk? I decided to try it again when the Dinner Club met earlier this month.

This third one is the recipe my aunt Virginia showed me. She brought out this leatherback thin cookbook and told me it came with a woodburning stove she had. 
After she studied the picture, she said her stove had a warmer compartment that wasn't on the stove in the picture.

The cookbook contained a variety of recipes, but I told her I thought the desserts were more popular with her. Why did I think that? Here is the page with the recipe on it. The pages in the front of the cookbook were nice and clean.



SKILLET CAKE (UPSIDE DOWN CAKE)

1/4       cup butter
3/4      cup brown sugar
1          cup pecan meats (optional-I did leave these out)
8         canned pineapple slices ( only needed 4 in my 9 - inch skillet)


Melt butter in 9 - inch skillet (iron). Remove from the fire.


Sprinkle brown sugar and nutmeats over bottom.


Arrange fruit on sugar.



I added the maraschino cherries








Prepare following batter:

2       eggs
1/4    teaspoon salt
1       cup sugar
1/2    cup rich milk (I did use my skim milk)
1       tablespoon melted shortening (I used canola oil)
1       teaspoon vanilla
1       cup sifted cake flour
1       teaspoon baking powder.


Beat eggs until light.I


Add gradually, beating constantly, the salt and sugar. (I had my husband add about 1 tablespoon at a time while I continued to beat with the whisk.)


Heat milk to boiling point.(I heated it in the microwave using the beverage setting.) Add butter. (forgot to take a picture)


Beat into egg mixture. Add vanilla. Resift flour with baking powder, and add it to egg mixture. Beat quickly until blended.


Pour batter over fruit.


Bake cake in moderate oven for about 1/4 to 1/2 hour. I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F and bake the cake for 30 minutes. (I did check the center with a toothpick.)


Turn out while warm. (I did run a knife around the edges to loosen them)





Serve upside down. (It's hard to see the pineapple slices but they are there.)





The cake was a big success with the Dinner Club especially the men.  I am so surprised at how many people's favorite cake is Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.


This experience with three different recipes for an old-time favorite has been really fun. Remember when I told you in an earlier post about forgetting the milk when I made this recipe the first time. This is what it looked like when I took it out of the 
oven.
This is what it looked like when I turned it upside down on the platter. It didn't look as badly on the other side. (My husband did end up eating the whole thing and said it didn't taste that bad.) I made sure when I made it the second time, that I didn't leave anything out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment