Monday, December 29, 2014

BASIL PORK CHOPS

This time of the year it seems that people naturally start thinking about changes they are going to make in the new year. I know I have. We even talked about New Year Resolutions in Sunday school yesterday.

One change I want to make is to start back with my menu planning. Starting next week my husband will begin prep work for preparing taxes for service men and women and retirees at Fort Leavenworth. He did this last year and really enjoyed the experience. The interesting thing for me was noticing how our lives changed. Because he participated almost daily (weekdays, that is) from January thru April, it was like he wasn't retired anymore but I still was. One of the good things about it was I made "goodies" three days a week for him to take to share with the other volunteers which provided me with plenty of recipes to share here on my blog.

So I got to thinking, now would be a good time for me to start back planning the dinners I would be cooking. That means I will be searching for main courses in addition to all the goodies I usually am looking for.

Since I said I have been thinking about this the past week, when I saw this recipe for Basil Pork Chops (Flavors of the southwest) from the Taste of Home's 2007 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes cookbook, I decided it would be one I would try. I also recently saw my George Foreman Grill stored in the garage on a shelf and remembered it when I saw the recipe. There was a time when I used it a lot, but haven't probably in more than a year. It worked perfectly though for this recipe. Because it worked so well, I will probably be using the grill  with more recipes in the future that I think will adapt to it. 

The recipe makes enough for 4 pork loin chops but I only made two. In the parenthesis, I have given directions for making only 2 and specifics for the way I made them.


BASIL PORK CHOPS

1/4       cup packed brown sugar (2 tablespoons)
1-1/2    teaspoon dried basil (3/4 teaspoon)
1/2       teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon)
1/2       teaspoon chili powder (1/4 teaspoon)
2          tablespoons oil, divided (1/2 tablespoon)
4          boneless pork loin chops (2 chops)


In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, basil, salt, and chili powder. 

Gradually stir in 1 tablespoon (1/2 tablespoon) oil until crumbly.


Rub over both sides of the pork chops.

In a large skillet, (George Foreman Grill preheated for 5 minutes) cook chops in remaining oil over medium heat for 7 - 8 minutes (6 - 8 minutes total) on each side or until juices run clear. The brown sugar does want to "burn" if it is on thick. I took any of the mixture that had fallen off the chops while they were on the plate waiting for the grill to preheat and placed it back on the chop before cooking them on the grill. Next time I won't do this as that is what "burned". As long as you rub or press the mixture into the chop, it will flavor it when it cooks.

TIP! 

The grill is easy to clean up with just a paper towel. If you have allowed the grill to cool (while you ate), just plug it back in. Immediately start rubbing the grill down with a couple of thicknesses of paper towel. The grill will clean right up and ready to use another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment