Monday, November 24, 2014

IRON SKILLET APPLE PIE

I can't think of any better way to spend a rainy, Sunday afternoon than baking an apple pie.  (Well, actually spending it with grandchildren would be the best, but....)

Friend Sandy posted a picture of this absolutely delicious iron skillet apple pie on Facebook several weeks ago.  I copied it down and told her I would give it a try.  I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to make it, but didn't have any occasion to do so.  I didn't want to have it in the house to tempt me but it wasn't enough to take anywhere. Well, yesterday afternoon, I decided it was time to make it and not worry about temptation.  My husband loves pie and so he will eat quite a bit of it.

The recipe was a little vague with precise directions (like - size of skillet, etc). I used just the 4 cups of apples as the recipe called for, but do admit, the next time I will use at least 5 cups and maybe even 6. (My skillet was a 10 inch skillet.) Mine didn't look exactly like the picture Sandy posted, but then that's not unusual as far as I am concerned.  I made an upside down peach cake twice and it never looked as good as the picture.  I know you know what I am talking about. The main difference with this one was the thickness of the pie.  If I had used more apples, it would have probably looked more like that picture.....but I was just following the recipe. Well, most of the time.

My husband and I both agreed this was possibly the best apple pie we have ever eaten.  Confession time again.  Because of this blog, I am always searching for new recipes to share. That means many of them I make only one time. (I do only share ones that we like though.  If we don't like it, you never see it here.) This one though I can promise you I will be making often.




IRON SKILLET APPLE PIE


1       stick + 1 tablespoon margarine
1/3   cup brown sugar blend (or 2/3 cup brown sugar)
3/4   cup stevia (or sugar)
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon nutmeg
5 - 6 cups apples, peeled & chopped 
1      box refrigerated pie crusts or homemade (I used Walmart's Great Value pie crust and they tasted like homemade)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large iron skillet (I used a 10 - inch iron skillet, but a smaller one will work.) melt the stick of margarine with the brown sugar blend. 
Cook just until the margarine melts. Remove from heat.


Center one of the pie crusts over the melted mixture.


Mix the stevia or sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.  Coat prepared apple chunks.


Pour apples over the crust and spread out evenly.


Cover with the second pie crust.


With a sharp knife, cut several slits.


Sprinkle top crust with a scant tablespoon sugar and dot with 1 tablespoon of margarine.

Bake for 30 - 45 minutes or until crust is brown and apples are tender.  I baked mine the full amount of time.

Cool and serve.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria. I just enjoyed eating a piece warmed up in the microwave. I honestly think it is the best apple pie I have ever made or eaten. My husband told me there is one piece left. I think he is going to leave it for me. Yay!

      Delete