Saturday, November 15, 2014

CRANBERRY BREAD PUDDING w/ORANGE CUSTARD SAUCE

I love a good bread pudding.  Problem is....bread pudding isn't a favorite of my husband. I decided to copy this recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding anyway when I saw it in one of dil Sara's cookbook when we visited back in September. 

I finally had an opportunity Thursday to prepare it when the hostess for Mexican Train had to cancel and I said I could hostess. I have to admit this was my first attempt and I was a little nervous. But I didn't need to be...this recipe was so easy and everyone raved about it. (I have to admit as I am writing this post that I forgot the melted margarine and the tablespoon of sugar sprinkled on top just before baking it. It tasted great though.)




CRANBERRY BREAD PUDDING


18        slices bread, crusts removed & cubed (I used a multigrain
1-1/2   cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1          tablespoon grated orange peel
1/4      cup margarine, melted
6         eggs
4         cups skim milk
1/4      cup + 2 tablespoons sugar/stevia blend (or 3/4 cup sugar) + 1 tablespoon sugar
1          teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare the bread.  

Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Layer half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the baking pan.

Top with half of the cranberries and then sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of orange peel.

Then repeat layers.

Drizzle with melted margarine.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar/stevia blend (or sugar), and vanilla until blended

Pour over the bread mixture 


and let stand for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake uncovered in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 65 to 75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.





While the pudding is soaking, prepare the 




ORANGE CUSTARD SAUCE


3       egg yolks
1/4    cup sugar
1        cup heavy whipping cream
1        orange peel strip (I cut away the peeling of 1/4 of the orange)
1/2    teaspoon orange extract

In a heavy saucepan, beat the egg yolks and sugar together.

Stir in the cream and orange peel.

Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.




Remove from heat, discard the orange peel.

Stir in the orange extract.

Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled (ready to serve).

When ready to serve, cut into squares and pour a little sauce over.

No comments:

Post a Comment