Tuesday, September 17, 2013

PEACH SAUCE

While l have pears running out my ears, I thought I would make something with my last 4 peaches that I had in the refrigerator. This recipe for peach sauce I found in a cookbook that I bought at an estate sale.  It is called The Southern Heritage Just Desserts Cookbook. It's from Southern Living and was published in 1984.

The recipe was towards the back of the cookbook in a section called "topping it off". They had all sorts of all-occasions sauces. The only ingredient that I didn't have for the peach sauce was the orange juice.  So I had to add it to my grocery list when I went to the store a few days ago.

Sunday after we get home from church I decided it was a perfect time to make the peach sauce.  Here's the recipe.


PEACH SAUCE

4       medium peaches, peeled and mashed 
1/2    cup of sugar 
1/2   cup orange juice 
2      teaspoons of lemon juice 
1      teaspoon vanilla extract


I peeled the peaches (see tip below) and mashed them ( a few at a time) in the pan I was going to use to cook the sauce.







Combine the peaches, sugar, and orange juice in a medium-size saucepan.





  

Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.







Remove from heat.

Stir in lemon juice and vanilla.

Cool.







Serve warm or chilled over ice cream.  It makes 2 cups of sauce.



  




TIP ALERT!

Here is a secret I recently read about how to easily remove the pit from peaches. The secret is where you cut the peach in half.

The first one I did was real easy because the "seam" line was already split so even after I peeled the peach, I could see it.





On the second peach, the "seam" was minor and so after I peeled the peach, I couldn't see where it was.  I didn't cut it in the correct place.





So I decided I would cut the peach in half first before I peeled it. That way if the "seam" wasn't major, I would be sure to cut it in the right place.  It really wasn't hard to peel the peach after it was cut and the pit comes out so easily.


Instead of sugar I decided that I would use twelve individual packets of stevia that I had. 







After it simmered for 15 minutes it wasn't quite thick enough so I decided I'd simmer it a little bit longer.  So I cooked mine about 25 minutes.

I cooled it for about 15 minutes or so and then decided I couldn't wait any longer to serve it over a little ice cream along with one of my last Arkansas Travelers that I made the other day.  Did you see that RECIPE?  They are so good.  I made the cookies to share with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. 

Well, the combination was delicious....the mint chip ice cream, peach sauce and an Arkansas Traveler cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment