Monday, September 23, 2013

PEAR CRUMBLE

Yesterday I shared the recipe for SPICED FALL PEARS. I love it.  I have made 5 batches so far in 3 days.  I mashed three of the batches and made pearsauce. I then froze it to enjoy later. Yesterday I made a batch for my grandchildren but used cinnamon instead of allspice.  I was afraid the allspice might be too "spicy" for their young tastes.  I left it in the slices, but if their parents decide to mash it, they still can.  The batch I made today is still in slices. Either way, the taste is unbelievable.

This Pear Crumble is another recipe I recently found that is really good.  I found the recipe in The Southern Heritage Just Desserts Cookbook.




PEAR CRUMBLE

1-1/2     cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/4        cup butter or margarine, melted
2           cups stevia or sugar
4           cups water
1/4        teaspoon salt
6           medium pears, peeled, cored, and sliced ( 4 cups)
1           tablespoon lemon juice
1/2        cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2        teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4        teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly spray an 8 - inch square baking dish.

Combine 2 cups of stevia/sugar, water, and salt in a large saucepan; cook until stevia/sugar dissolves. 





Add pears; bring to a boil over medium heat, 








cover with a lid and reduce the heat and cook just until pears are tender - 15 to 30 minutes.









While the pears are cooking, combine the cookie crumbs and the melted margarine in a small bowl til crumbly.

Remove saucepan from heat and drain the pears, reserving 1/4 cup of the syrup.











Spread pears in baking dish and pour the lemon juice and the reserved syrup over top.

Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the pears.






Top with the cookie crumb mixture.









Bake for 25 minutes.









Spoon into individual serving dishes, and serve warm with ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment