Thursday, September 19, 2013

LEMON CRISPS

It has been a busy Thursday for me so far. Having a free morning, I knew I wanted to get started on the machine quilting of my sudoku lap quilt. I took my drawn stitching design last night to handbell practice at church to get a second opinion. I had decided maybe I should just "stitch-in-the-ditch" instead of diagonals but Sharon told me she liked what I had "drawn up", the diagonals. I managed to get about 2/3 rds of it done this morning.

This afternoon the Northland New Neighbors' quilting group met. I thought we might get the "squares" sewed together to finish the quilt top for our quilt of valour we are making, but we didn't. Be looking for that next installment in the next couple of days. 

Now I am waiting for my husband to get home from the Y, so I can tell him we are going out for dinner. Until then I thought I would share with you a cookie recipe that I made a few weeks ago. I love just about anything LEMON and so the title caught my eye. They were very good.

I found this recipe in a 9/16/1997 Woman's Day magazine.  It was one of the recipes in a feature called Cookie Jar Cookies.


LEMON CRISPS

1        stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine (not spread), softened (I do use a 60% vegetable oil margarine)
3/4  cup sugar (I used stevia)
1       large egg
1       tablespoon lemon peel
1-1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1       teaspoon lemon extract
1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1/4   teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used soft wheat pastry flour)

Garnish: 1/2 cup sliced almonds or 1/4 cup sugar (I used the sugar for this)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Have cookie sheets ready (ungreased)

Beat the margarine and sugar in large bowl with mixer on high speed until fluffy.

Beat in egg, lemon peel, juice, and extract until well blended.

Combine flour, baking powder, and soda and add to mixture.  On low speed stir in the flour just until blended.


Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  (I used my 1 - inch scoop and then lightly pressed them down a little.  If you wet the fork with water, the dough won't stick to it.) Sprinkle with sugar or almonds.


Bake 10 - 12 minutes until edges are lightly brown.


Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute before removing to wire rack to cool completely.



Stir airtight at room temperature up to 1 week. Your cookie will be soft if you do this. I stored mine on a plate and they stayed crispy. Much more to my liking. Try both methods to see which you prefer. They are called Lemon Crisps though and I wanted the cookie to have a little crisp to it. The recipe will make about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment