Tuesday, September 3, 2013

SWEET ZUCCHINI BUTTER BREAD

I hope you aren't getting tired of zucchini recipes.  I keep looking for new and different recipes so I can have a variety of different prepared treats.  I do freeze shredded and measured out in 1-1/2 cups and 2 cups amounts of zucchini for later use, but if I can find new recipes I have been using the zucchini fresh.

If you want to freeze it, just grate it and after measuring it out in either 1-1/2 cup or 2 cup amounts, place the measured amounts in a small plastic bag (I actually just use sandwich bags.) Write on the outside of the bag, how much is in the bag. Then place the bags in a larger freezer bag. I lay the bags flat in the freezer so they will freeze flat.  When ready to use, remove the bag with the desired amount and let it thaw.  I open the bag and place the frozen block in a strainer to thaw.  This way any excess water will strain off.

I found this recipe at PBS Kids, Kitchen Explores.  It doesn't taste like your normal zucchini bread.  I guess it is because of the 2 sticks of margarine.  The texture is smoother, too.  I did make it in one loaf pan, but next time I think I will make two mini-loaves.  That way I get to enjoy the bread over a longer period of time.  I also made the bread using half soft wheat pastry flour and half whole wheat pastry flour.



SWEET ZUCCHINI BUTTER BREAD

1     cup margarine, softened (2 sticks)
1/4   cup + 2 tablespoons sugar/stevia blend (or 3/4 cup sugar)
3     eggs
2     teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cup flour (I used half soft wheat pastry flour and half whole wheat pastry flour)
2     teaspoons baking powder
1     teaspoon cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon allspice
1/4   teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Generously spray a 4-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Cream the margarine and sugar until fluffy with a mixer on medium speed.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add the vanilla.

Combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt in a bowl with a whisk or sift them together.

On slow speed gradually add the flour mixture and beat until well combined scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.

Add the zucchini and mix until the shreds are evenly distributed.











Pour the batter in the loaf pan.

Bake for 30 minutes and then rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake an additional 25 - 30 minutes until the center of the loaf is springy to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Allow the pan to rest 10 minutes before gently shaking the pan side to side to loosen the loaf from the pan.  ( I tapped the sides of the pan to loosen the loaf.)

Cool the loaf on a flat plate.

Serve warm or allow the loaf to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment