Tuesday, September 10, 2013

ARKANSAS TRAVELERS

Being from Arkansas, the title of these cookies caught my attention when I was looking thru my Coldwater's Cookin'! cookbook.  I have shared several recipes that I found in it.  It was published in 1978 by Iota Omicron Beta Sigma Phi in Coldwater, Kansas.  One of the little girls I took care of named Megan gave it to me back in '84.  Her grandmother was one of the contributors.

This recipe was contributed by Betty J. Brass.  It is a different spin on your peanut butter cookie.  

I decided to make them this morning to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share with the other volunteers. The original recipe made 5 dozen cookies. Since I didn't want to make that many and the ingredient amounts could easily be halved, that is what I did. I am sharing the original recipe but just remember you can cut the amounts in half if you want to make less. I actually made 39 cookies.  

My additions/changes are in parenthesis.  I didn't show the halved amounts though.




ARKANSAS TRAVELERS


1         cup butter (or light margarine)
1         teaspoon vanilla
1         cup brown sugar
1         cup white sugar (I used sugar and stevia blend.)
2        eggs
1-1/2 cups peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
3        cups sifted flour
2        teaspoons baking powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (I actually baked mine at 350 degrees. See note below.)
Grease or spray cookie sheets

Cream butter (until smooth).






Add vanilla.

Add sugars (that you have combined in a small bowl) gradually, creaming well.














Beat in eggs, mixing thoroughly.








Add peanut butter and mix well.








Sift together the flour and baking powder.  Stir into creamed mixture.







Roll into small balls.  (I used my cookie scoop and that worked perfectly.  Less messy since dough was soft.)

Place on cookie sheets (about 2 inches apart).


Flatten with tines of a fork that has been dipped in water.  (This keeps the dough from sticking to the tines.)














Bake for 8 - 10 minutes at 375 degrees and 10 - 11 minutes at 350 degrees.  (I didn't notice the oven temperature when I preheated the oven.  That is why I baked mine at 350 degrees. The last pan I baked at 375 degrees.  They were a little browner and ready after 8 minutes.)




2 comments:

  1. My Mama made these for me a long time ago but a little bit differently. They were so addictive. I've been trying to find her recipe but not having much luck. Thank you for posting yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found mine Toni. I hope they taste the same. Patricia

      Delete