Saturday, September 1, 2012


My second rag quilt I made was for my dil Sara.  Her favorite colors are pink and purple.  With one rag quilt under my belt, I decided to really experiment.  As I said in the POST of Marie's quilt, I decided to use my knowledge of "quilt square patterns" and incorporate it in my rag quilts.  I always thought the pinwheels were pretty and so that is how I decided to use the pinks and purples for Sara's quilt. 

I made the triangles by cutting two squares and laying them with right sides together, I simply stitched diagonally across the square and then trimmed away on one side 1/4 of an inch from the seam and pressed the seam open so that it looked like I had sewed two triangles together.  I did this four times and then sewed them together to make the large square.  I made a total of 12 of these large pinwheels. I used each print in three squares so I did have to work at the layout so that the prints didn't appear next to each other.  

The light lavender that is used for the "sashing" is flannel.  I cut the "side sashings" the length of the square and then had the cornerstones the finished 5 inch square.  Since I had made the pinwheels as a traditional quilt square, I made the batting and the backing the size of the finished pinwheel square.  As you can see in the picture the only clipping I had to do was around the sashing. It still isn't as close as we eventually were clipping, but it is closer than AUNTIE'S rag quilt. 

  I hope you can see in the picture above how I sewed the pieces (I call them "sandwiches") together.  I call them sandwiches because they are put together like a sandwich....the back, flannel/batting, and then the top.  I made two X's on the longer sashing pieces and for the pinwheel, I did an "outline" (stitching 1/4 inch from the seam) on the inside of one of the prints in the pinwheel.  This held the pieces together. (See link for tutorial for a simple rag quilt below.)

Then I decided to have a border around the quilt. I made the more traditional finished 5 inch-square sandwiches using the purple print flannel that I used for the back and the lighter lavender that I had used for the sashing.  So that it would make a true border, I simply turned the squares over and used the purple print as my "top" and the lavender as my "back".  As you can see in the above picture, then I had a border on both the front and back.

 My third rag quilt was the only one I kept for myself.  I decided to use the same pinwheel square for mine, but just used two cotton prints for the pinwheels.  That way, I didn't have to work so hard to make sure no two prints were next to each other. I also just made the border without turning the "sandwiches" over.  You can see that it is a border if you look closely because the squares are the same small size all the way around.

In the picture, the darker print of the pinwheel looks like it is black, but (I think) it is actually a deep purple with a small light purple flower.  The other print is a white with a medium purple flower.

For my next effort, I went back to a more traditional rag quilt..... until later. If you would like to see a tutorial for making a simple rag quilt check out this POST.

No comments:

Post a Comment