Sunday, September 9, 2012

DORIS' ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

This recipe for Italian Cream Cake came from my cousin, Doris.  It is one of her signature desserts, but this was the first time I have ever made one.  You will have to tell me if I made it like you do, Doris?

I have always believed that if you learn from your mistakes, you aren't a failure.  Well, I learned something making this cake....Using reduced fat cream cheese in a recipe for icing or frosting (whatever you call it...I call it icing and have to remember to call it frosting.)  doesn't work.  I also used light margarine and that probably didn't help either.  It was just too thin.  I tried putting it in the refrigerator but that didn't really help.  The good news was once I cut the cake and served it on plates, no one could tell how funny the cake looked on the cake platter.

If you follow my blog, you know I don't usually make desserts with a lots of calories.   I made this cake to take to our Dinner Club.  That's the only way I could afford to make it.  It is so delicious, I would probably gain 5 lbs if I made it for just my husband and me.  I had about a fourth of it left and I begged the hostess, Kay, to take half of it so I wouldn't have to bring it back home.

I'm really glad I made it though (as did everyone at the dinner).  Everyone deserves a "good cheat" ever once in a while.


Italian Cream Cake

1 ½ stick butter
½ cup Crisco
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (If your oven cooks hot, you might want to try 325 degrees.) Grease and flour three 8-inch round pie pans.

 Cream butter, Crisco, and sugar until smooth at medium speed.

Separate the eggs yolks and egg whites into two small bowls.  Set the egg whites aside.  Beat the egg yolks with a whisk and add to the creamed mixture.

. Whisk together flour and soda and then add flour and buttermilk  alternately.  Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.

Add vanilla, coconut and pecans. 

(I had to trade bowls to beat the egg whites as I only have one bowl with my mixer.)

 Beat egg whites on high speed until stiff

and fold in mixture. 

 Pour into 3 (8" inch) pans.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick in the center of the cake.

Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire racks.

  Then remove from pans and continue cooling on wire racks.

When totally cool, frost with icing.

Icing:
2   8-oz pkg cream cheese
2   boxes powdered sugar (2 lbs)
2  stick butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup pecans (optional)

Beat cream cheese and butter til smooth. Add vanilla.  Slowly add powdered sugar scrapping sides of bowl as necessary.

Stir in the nuts.

Generously frost the first layer 





Carefully lay second layer on top of first layer.
Insert toothpicks in four place to keep the second layer from slipping if necessary. Frost the second layer.


Repeat with the third or top layer.

Once you have the three layer iced, then ice the sides.

 I also chopped a few more pecans and sprinkled on top of the frosted cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment