Tuesday, June 21, 2016

SLOW COOKER ITALIAN LEMON CHICKEN

Remember a whole lot of chicken I shared with you yesterday? Well, here is the first meal(s) I made from just one of those humongous chicken breasts. That breast was so big, we have eaten twice from it and there is still one serving left. Five servings! That's almost hard to believe.

When we were visiting with our older son and his family in CO a couple of weeks ago, Dil Sara prepared Lemon Chicken in her slow cooker for dinner one evening. I intended to ask her for the recipe, but forgot. 

When I was thinking what I could make with some of the chicken, I wanted to do something that wouldn't heat up the kitchen. This recipe was originally from Life in the Lofthouse and is a popular one from a number of different online sites. The recipe calls for 3 large boneless chicken breasts. I only used 1. I also reduced the Italian Dressing Seasoning Mix to only half the package since I wasn't using 3 chicken breasts. I did go on and use the other amounts called for in the recipe.



SLOW COOKER ITALIAN LEMON CHICKEN

1-3       large boneless chicken breasts
1/4       cup flour (this is used for coating the chicken and not an amount added to mixture)
salt and pepper
2          tablespoons unsalted butter (used for lightly browning the breasts)
1/2 - 1  packet Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix (see above paragraph)
1/2       cup lemon juice
1/2       cup low sodium chicken broth*

Coat the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Preheat on High while mixing up the ingredients

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lightly dredge in flour coating all sides. (I cut the breast into 3 strips because of its size.)






Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium - high heat.
Cook chicken until lightly browned on all sides.


Place chicken in slow cooker.
Sprinkle the seasoning mix evenly over the chicken. 


Mix the broth and the lemon juice (*I make my own chicken broth using one cup of boiling water and one chicken bouillon cube and stirring til dissolved. I then used 1/2 cup of it.)

and pour over the top. (* I mainly poured the liquid down the sides so the seasoning mix wouldn't be "washed off".


Place the lid on the cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. (I cooked mine for 30 minutes on High and then about 5 hours on low.)


Leave chicken whole (I tried but it was really hard to do.)
or shred with two forks. Serve over rice with the lemon broth. Want the recipe for the garlic cheese biscuit in the picture, check it out here.         
I just shredded the rest in the cooker.            

   

No comments:

Post a Comment