Tuesday, March 1, 2016

PINEAPPLE COOKIES

Since my husband didn't volunteer to help prepare taxes for service men and women and retirees at Fort Leavenworth, I had one less place to make my goodies to share. I really missed the opportunity. I hope they missed my treats. 

We did schedule to have them prepare our taxes, so I spent a little time Sunday afternoon making these awesome Pineapple Cookies. 

The recipe is another I found in The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook, a collection from Lancaster County, PA. The recipe sounded like it would make a good cookie, but it didn't. It made a GREAT cookie. I had to keep back just a few for us to enjoy at home. It made 3-1/2 dozens so they didn't miss the 1/2 dozen. I know I will be making them again really soon.



PINEAPPLE COOKIES

1/2       cup shortening
1/2       cup brown sugar
1/2       cup sugar
1           egg
2          cups sifted flour (I sifted it before I measured it.)
1           teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
1           cup crushed pineapple (I drained it.)
1/2       cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the cookie sheet. (I also tried baking them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I liked the results.)


Cream the shortening with the sugars.


Add the egg; beat thoroughly.


Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) and add to creamed mixture alternately with the pineapple. (I always start and end with the flour. 3 times dry and 2 times with wet.)


Stir in nuts.


Drop by spoonfuls...I used my small cookie scoop (holds 1 tablespoon of water).


Bake for about 12 minutes til lightly brown. 


Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment