Friday, December 18, 2015

MARION SMITH'S MOLASSES COOKIES

Marion Smith was the mother of a dear friend of ours from church when we lived in CA. In addition to being a good friend, Susie was also my Sunday school teacher. What a blessing that was! I matured so much in my faith during that time. When her mother died, Susie took the time to write out on recipe cards, this recipe for Molasses Cookies. She said it was her mother's favorite cookie recipe. Susie wrote out enough so that everyone who attended Mrs. Smith's funeral received a copy. Susie said the process helped her deal with her grief of losing her mother.

I decided to make them to share with my friends yesterday at Fran's for farkle. I actually ended up taking a tray of 3 different cookies. I shared the Cranberry Orange Almond Shortbread Cookies yesterday. I will share the other cookie, a Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie next week.


MOLASSES COOKIES

3/4    cup margarine
1         cup sugar
1/4     cup Brer Rabbit molasses
1         egg
2        teaspoons baking soda
1/2     teaspoon cloves
2        cups all-purpose flour
1         teaspoon cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon ginger
1/2     teaspoon salt

Melt the margarine. Cool.

Add the sugar, molasses, and egg. Beat well.

Sift dry ingredients together and add to mixture. Mix well.




Refrigerate (at least an hour).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Form 1 inch balls (I used my cookie scoop), roll in sugar (I just put a few spoonfuls in a bowl), and place on greased cookie sheet 2 - inches apart. (I covered the cookie sheet with parchment paper instead.)







Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. (I baked mine 10 minutes. I also let them cool on the cookie sheet about 2 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a wire rack.)

No comments:

Post a Comment