Monday, September 9, 2024

LEMON CREAM CHEESE BARS


I recently wrote about surprises I had had and here I am talking about surprises again and so soon, too. I am blessed is all I can say.

I was a little concerned that we wouldn't have a nice variety to offer in the Cafe at PWUMC yesterday because only a few volunteers had signed up. Then around dinner time Saturday night I received a text from Friend Jean who was scheduled to bring a treat, letting me know about "treats" and who made them that they had left in the staff kitchen behind the cafe. (The Miracle Ringers, the church's handbell choir had met to polish the bells and had brought a sack lunch plus treats. The leftover treats they donated to the Cafe Treats.) What a surprise! Thank you Miracle Ringers!
 
There were so many treats, I filled the entire counter. Of course, our patrons loved everything, especially the number of choices. One of the ministers came by and saw these bars and asked if that was cream cheese. When I told him, it was, it was overjoyed. I made sure I put one aside for me because I knew they wouldn't last long.

With just a hint of lemon and the smooth taste of cream cheese topped off with the interesting taste that the crescent dinner roll gives it, it is a surprise when you bite into it. And who doesn't like surprises. 
 



PRINT RECIPE.

LEMON CREAM CHEESE BARS

2     (8 oz) packages of refrigerated crescent rolls

2     (8 oz) packages cream cheese at room temperature

1/2   cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1/2   cup sugar

1      tablespoons of lemon zest

2      tablespoons butter, melted

3      tablespoons sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Press one of the cans of crescent rolls in the bottom of the dish making sure to cover the entire bottom and keep the perforated edges together.

Bake for 5 - 8 minutes or until it is light brown. Remove and cool on rack.

Beat the cream cheese just a bit and add the 1/2 cup of sugar.

Blend in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Mixture should be smooth.

Spread the mixture on the baked crescent rolls.

Roll the remaining crescent roll over the top and stretch to the edges and seal.

Brush across the top with the melted butter.

Sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons of sugar

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool.

Refrigerate for about an hour.

Slice into bars and serve.

Store leftovers in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment