Tuesday, September 10, 2024

GF, SF - OAT FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Going to the dentist has never been on my Love to Do List. When I was little, my mother would stay in the room with me and my dentist. (I was four when I first started going to Dr. Grumbles. I stuck with him through college.) I always thought when I was little that she stayed there the whole time, but when I was older she admitted to me that she would leave and go sit down eventually. 

Later when Wayne and I lived in Biloxi, MS, I would wear headphones and have music blaring in my ears so I didn't have to hear the scraping noise, etc. Even later when we lived in Ventura, CA, I took my Walkman and listened to my CDs. The Eagles and Phil Collins (Just another day in Paradise - you got that wrong) got me through dental appointments with Dr. Namikas and Karen, his dental hygienist. Karen thought if she didn't scrape for an hour, she wasn't doing a good job.

Then we moved to Kansas City, MO and I decided I was grown up enough that I would try without anything. Brave? Right, but it worked. I liked the hygienist Linda and she didn't think you had to scrape for an hour. 

The office eventually changed ownership and Dr. Graue is awesome and his staff has grown immensely. Dee, the receptionist, and Sandy, his assistant haven't changed the whole 16 years I have been going to the practice and they always greet me with a smile and it feels like family. I have never brought my music in to listen to to distract me, but I hold my hands in my lap and pretend it is Jesus holding my hand. That helps me relax especially during the little bit of scraping, etc.

After I started my blog, I started bringing a treat for the staff to share each time I came. I jokingly told them it was a bribe so they were be kind to me and not hurt me. I always tried to bring something not too sweet, afterall, I am taking it to a dentist office, but over the last year or so, Dr. G. has added hygienists who require gluten-free or sugar-free. Of course I wouldn't take something that only a few could enjoy so my collection of recipes is changing somewhat. It really isn't that big of a deal, because I also like to have a GF and/or SF options for the Cafe Treats at church.

As I expected hearing that I had brought GF-SF Chocolate Chip Cookie was very well received in the office. As soon as Chelsea, my hygienist finished cleaning/polishing my teeth, she left to go eat a cookie. She came back while Dr. G. was examining my teeth and said if she had been wearing a mask, she would have thought she was eating a Chips-a-Hoy cookie. That's a pretty high recommendation, I think. 

They don't look like a Toll House cookie, but they are really good and I am sure I will be making them again for us. When I do, I will probably make my own oat flour by grinding up old fashioned oats since I don't have to have gluten-free. (FYI - oats are naturally gluten-free, but only oats that say GF have been processed on equipment limited for GF products.)



PRINT RECIPE.

GF, SF - OAT FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2-1/2   cups oat flour

1         teaspoon cornstarch

1/2      teaspoon baking soda

1/4      teaspoon salt

1/2      cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

3/4      cup light brown sugar (Sweet Complete Brown)

1/4      cup sugar (stevia)

1         large egg, room temperature

2         teaspoons vanilla extract

1         cup no-sugar-added chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


In a medium sized bowl, combine the oat flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt with a whisk. Set aside.


In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars for 3 minutes on medium speed. (If necessary, stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Combine the egg and vanilla and

add to creamed mixture.

Beat until smooth and well combined.


Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and

mix just until combined.

Fold in the chocolate chips.


Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough using a cookie scoop (press in if necessary). Form into a ball if necessary when you release it from the scoop and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Flatten with your fingers.


Bake for 8 to 9 minutes until edges are set.

Cool for 3 minutes on the pan before removing them to a wire rack to cool. 





Store in an airtight container.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment