Thursday, September 5, 2024

AMISH CINNAMON BREAD

 

I love surprises! Especially when I'm not expecting them --- but then I guess it isn't a surprise if I'm expecting it. 

So are you smiling now or just shaking your head?  I hope you are smiling. That was my intent --- to give you something to smile about today.

I was certainly smiling Sunday morning when I saw Friend Jeri walking toward the Cafe (at PWUMC) with a plate in-hand and then handing it to me. I was immediately overtaken with the smell of cinnamon.

I placed the slices on one of trays I use in the Cafe for the Cafe Treats and set it up on the counter. Within minutes a young man came up to see what we had to offer and said, "I smell cinnamon. Oh, good." as he helped himself to a slice. That made me smile again.

I saw Jeri later and asked her if it were a recipe or a box mix and she said it was a recipe. She said it was so easy and made two loaves so she kept one and brought me slices from the other loaf. I asked her to send me the recipe and she offered to bring some more the next time she made it. That made me a smile again. 

When Jeri sent me the recipe later Sunday afternoon, I thanked her and told her I had really appreciated her contribution as not enough people had volunteered to bring something. She then offered to bring something on a fairly regular basis. That really made me smile when I read that. So now we have another Cafe Treats Baker and more awesome recipes to share here.




PRINT RECIPE.

AMISH CINNAMON BREAD

1     cup butter, softened

2     cups  sugar

2     eggs

2     cups buttermilk or 2 cup milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice

4     cups flour

2     teaspoons baking soda

*    *    *    *

Cinnamon/sugar mixture:

2/3  cups sugar

2     teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two loaf pans. Set aside.

Cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs.

Add buttermilk, flour, and baking soda.

Put 1/2 of the batter or a little less into the two loaf pans (1/4 in each).

In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 3/4 of the mixture on top of the batter in each pan.

Add the remaining batter evenly to the pans; sprinkle the last of the cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.

Swirl with a knife through the pans. (Jeri swirled a lot with the knife to avoid and pockets of the dry cinnamon/sugar mixture.)

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in the pans for 20 minutes removing from the pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment