Monday, July 29, 2024

CHOCOLATE CHIP CHERRY COOKIES

 

Imagine my surprise when I was describing these delicious Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies to a patron yesterday morning at the church's cafe, when she walked away from them and said, "Oh! I don't like cherries!"

So if you don't like cherries (dried) either, you could always substitute dried cranberries. My husband always told me he couldn't taste the cherries when he ate one, but I did with each cookie and loved it. (But I love cherries!) The recipe actually called for only 1/2 cup, but I added 1 cup (or almost all of a 5 oz bag of dried cherries). If you only add 1/2 cup you will definitely have some cookies that might not have any dried cherries in them.

This recipe is another recipe from Recipes from Karen's Katering, a Cookbook to Benefit the Karns Lions Club that I have so many recipes tagged in. 

The recipe made 3 cookies short of 4 dozen cookies. Since I only ask for 3 dozen of anything for the Cafe Treats at church, I kept the 9 extra cookies for us to enjoy at home. This really pleased my husband. I'm really glad also because there were no leftovers at church. I really can't wait to make these cookies again.



PRINT RECIPE.

CHOCOLATE CHIP CHERRY COOKIES

1/2       cup (1 stick) + 1 tablespoon butter, softened

1/2       cup granulated sugar

1/4       cup packed brown sugar

1          large egg

2          teaspoons vanilla

1-1/2   cups flour

5         tablespoons baking cocoa

1/2      teaspoon baking soda

1/4      teaspoon salt

1         cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1         cup white baking chips

1         cup dried cherries


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. (I just beat the mixture while I measured and prepared the dry ingredients.)

I forgot the brown sugar and added it after I creamed the butter and granulated sugar. (It was fine.)

Slowly beat in egg and vanilla.

(I did this by hand.)


In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

(I just mixed with a whisk as I just read over the word sift.)


Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and stir with electric mixer just until moistened. Do not overmix.

(This doesn't have to be completely combined as you will be stirring in the chips and dried cherries.)


Add the chips and cherries. (I cut the dried cherries in half first.)


Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (a cookie scoop is perfect for this) about 2 inches apart.


Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Cool on pans 5 minutes before moving the cookies to a wire rack to cool.







Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment