Monday, July 1, 2024

STRAWBERRY DROP COOKIES

I'm so glad I found this versatile recipe submitted by Betty Steinmeyer the in Sugar Creek Anniversary Cook Book, 1920 - 1970 that I got at an estate sale. The recipe was actually called Pineapple Drop Cookies and used pineapple preserves. 

I didn't have any pineapple preserves but did have several other fruit preserves to choose from. I chose strawberry preserves to use, but any of the other preserves would have worked. That's why I said it is so versatile. I love recipes like this and I already know I will be making them often.

They went together so quickly and easily and flattened so pretty when they baked. I shouldn't be surprised though because they used butter. Cookies with butter usually flatten when they bake while ones made using shortening don't. You need to flatten the latter before you bake them.

 


PRINT RECIPE.

STRAWBERRY DROP COOKIES

1       cup sugar

3/4    cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened

1       egg

1/4    cup strawberry preserves (or your favorite)

2-1/4 cups sifted flour

1       teaspoon baking soda

1/2    teaspoon salt



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and the preserves and

mix well. 


Sift the flour and then measure 2-1/4 cups. Sift again the measured flour, soda, and salt.


Add all at once to the creamed mixture.

Stir on low until dough forms.










Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, drop level scoops of dough about 2 inches apart. The dough does spread as the cookies bake so don't crowd on the cookie sheet. (sorry no picture)


Bake 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing the cookies to finish cooling on a wire rack.





Recipe made 36+ cookies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment