Monday, May 20, 2024

ORANGE CANDY SLICE COOKIES

 I felt a little old yesterday morning at church when I was serving the Cafe Treats. I always record every treat in the order in which they are displayed on a small marker board, but I will still let people know what the treats are also. Several young(er than I am) would hesitate when I would say these were Orange Slice Cookies with white baking chips. They often think the white baking chips are macadamia nuts, but I remind them the Cafe Treats are a "Nut-Free Zone". Yesterday I had a few that I asked if they were familiar with orange slices. I admit I should have said orange candy slices, but I didn't. One young woman said she knew what orange slices were but not orange candy slices. I described how they came in a little bag and she just shook her head at me.


Well, these cookies were really delicious! One man took one and ate it before he walked away. Then he reached down and took another one and said, "Those are really good." I bet he remembers orange candy slices.

Thanks Baker Mary for making them for the Cafe Treats.



PRINT RECIPE.

ORANGE CANDY SLICE COOKIES

1       cup orange candy slices

1-1/2 cups sugar, divided

1       cup butter, softened (2 sticks)

1       cup shortening

1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar

2       large eggs, room temperature

2       teaspoons vanilla extract

4       cups flour

2       teaspoons baking soda

1       teaspoon salt

1       package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips

1       cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Cut each orange slice into 8 pieces. (Scissors work well with this. Rinse off as needed.) Roll in 1/4 cup sugar, set aside.

In a bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and 3/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in vanilla.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk. Gradually add to the creamed mixture.

Stir in the chips, pecans if you are using them, and orange slice pieces.

Roll into 1 - inch balls (using a tablespoon cookie scoop to measure amount).

Place 2 - inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. 

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment