Wednesday, May 15, 2024

HERSHEY'S GREAT AMERICAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

 If I had a dollar for every different recipe there is for chocolate chip cookies, I would be wealthy. Now I don't know for sure, but I do know that we had four chocolate chip treats for the Cafe Treats on Sunday and they were all by a different recipe. 

I have also made chocolate chip cookies for Martin, the godfather of our Missouri grandchildren, three or four times. He and his wife Jamie have chickens and the first time we went to buy some eggs from him, Martin refused to take my money and said he wanted to barter with me - fresh eggs for chocolate chip cookies. He didn't want "fancy" ones with lots of things in them, he just wanted plain chocolate chip cookies. Every time I have taken him cookies, I have used a different recipe. 

When I asked Jamie if Martin liked anything else besides chocolate chip cookies, she said he also liked brownies. I searched several cookbooks but couldn't find a recipe that sounded good to me. So in a last ditch effort I checked out a 2019 Exchange Holiday Cookbook from an assisted living place in Tennessee where a relative of Wayne's was living. There was a recipe for brownies but I wasn't crazy about it either. Several pages before it though, I saw this recipe for chocolate chip cookies submitted by Sabrina Green. It sounded good so I just gave up on brownies, for now, at least, and decided to try these.

The only chocolate chips I had were Special Dark, but I wasn't sure if Martin liked dark chocolate. I then found a package of mini-chocolate chips and decided to use them. The special thing about the mini chocolate chips, is you end up getting what seems like a lot more chocolate chips in a cookie.

Since there were no added notes for the recipe, I didn't know the cookie would be a thinner, crispier chocolate chip cookie. That was an added treat, at least for me. Since I usually just give Martin 3 dozen cookies and the recipe made almost 5 dozen, Wayne and I have been able to enjoy some of them. Yay!

I will probably be making Martin cookies by this recipe again if he tells me he really liked them. If he doesn't, I will just make them for us. My grandchildren would probably like them, also.




PRINT RECIPE.

HERSHEY'S GREAT AMERICAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1        cup butter, softened (2 sticks)

3/4     cup sugar

3/4     cup brown sugar, packed lightly

1        teaspoon vanilla

2        eggs

2-1/4 cups flour

1        teaspoon baking soda

1/2     teaspoon salt

2        cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini ones) (12 oz package)

1        cup nuts, chopped (optional) (I omitted)


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or use ungreased cookie sheets. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla til

well blended.

Add the eggs and beat well.

 


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.

Beat well.

Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts, if you are using them.


Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I used a tablespoon cookie scoop and lined my cookie sheets with parchment paper.)


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Cool for about 2 minutes before removing them to

finish cooling on a wire rack.

I made almost 5 dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment