Monday, November 13, 2023

BARB'S CARROT BARS

 

I couldn't wait to get home to write up this recipe to share with you. I have never witnessed as much excitement over a cafe treat as there was over Barb's Carrot Bars. Word got out so quickly and I don't know how. People were coming to get one before I had everything out. Children with their parent just looked at them and said, "I want that one."

Barb made some Carrot Bars a few weeks ago and told me when she brought them that she had a different recipe that she liked better that she would make. I ate one of her bars and loved it and told her so. Everyone else loved them also.

I had forgotten she had a different recipe, but she sent me the recipe before she signed up on the sign up sheet and told me they were so much easier to make. Especially since she didn't have to grate any carrots. (What a chore!) What made this recipe so awesome was it used baby food. Yes. Baby food carrots!

I had a recipe long time ago that used baby food and for the life of me I can't remember what it was far. I do remember trying to find it a few years ago and had no luck. One night soon in the middle of the night I will wake up having remembered what the recipe was for. I won't remember the recipe, but if I could just remember what it made, I'm sure I could find a recipe for it. I will keep you posted.

Barb actually made 1-1/2 times the recipe and baked it in a 15 x 10 - inch jelly roll pan. If you have never done that, just take use what is called for and then add half of that amount too. (2 eggs would become 3 eggs, 1 cup of sugar would become 1-1/2 cups, etc) She did say that she made the frosting for the larger recipe like shown in the smaller recipe because she doesn't like thick frosting on them. It was plenty of frosting as far as I am concerned.

I asked her if she just used a wooden spoon but she said she used her hand mixer. Since it used, oil instead of butter, she felt using a spoon would work. I try to use my wooden spoon as much as I can whenever I can. 

I think the next time I'm off to the grocery store, I will be adding some baby food to my buggy (grocery cart). Hope you do, too.

PRINT RECIPE.



BARB'S CARROT BARS

2       eggs

1       cup sugar

2       jars carrots baby food

1       teaspoon vanilla

1-1/4 cups flour

1       teaspoon baking soda

1       teaspoon cinnamon

1/2    teaspoon salt

1/2    cup walnuts (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.

Beat the eggs and then add the sugar and oil. 

Add carrots, vanilla, flour, and spices.

Mix in nuts, if using.

Pour batter into pan and bake until the center feels done, approximately 20 minutes.

Cool and frost with the following frosting.

FROSTING:

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar

3       oz cream cheese

1/4    cup margarine

1       teaspoon vanilla

Cream the margarine and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment