Monday, September 11, 2023

SCOTCH SPUD COOKIES

 I don't remember how long I have had this small booklet-like cookbook. I'm sure I bought it at an estate sale though. I really like these cookbooks for Bake-Off Winners. This one was of the 19th annual Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest  (1968) of 100 prize winning recipes. The interesting thing about this cookbook is it doesn't name the winners from each category. 

It really doesn't matter which recipes were chosen for prize money. I figure all of the recipes are good or they wouldn't have included them in the cookbook. I have two recipes that I marked to try and these Scotch Spud Cookies was one of them. The other one is for a chocolate Bundt cake that sounds as interesting as these cookies. I just have to find a time to make it. They both contain a very surprising ingredient -- instant potato flakes.

I wasn't sure how these cookies were going to turn out. I mean, whoever heard of adding instant potato flakes to cookies?  I know you can add instant potato flakes to ground beef to make a really juicy hamburger so I decided they would probably make a really good cookie and they did. 

You use an electric mixer for combining the ingredients until you get to the instant potato flakes. Then you use a spoon or spatula to mix them all up. It was a good workout for me. I got them pretty much mixed in and then just added the butterscotch pieces. That certainly helped getting the flakes absorbed.

I used my cookie scoop but flatten the scoop of dough with my fingers because I didn't know if the cookies would flatten as they baked. I don't think they would have. I smoothed together the edges if the dough started breaking as I flattened it. Then they had the looks of a finished cookie.

I think they were enjoyed because there was only one left when I came back after church to clean up and pack away the leftovers to freeze for next Sunday for the Cafe Treats. 



PRINT RECIPE.

SCOTCH SPUD COOKIES

1/2      cup butter, softened

1         cup firmly packed brown sugar

1         egg

1         teaspoon vanilla

1         cup flour

1         teaspoon baking powder

1/2      teaspoon salt

1-1/2   cups instant mashed potato flakes

1/2      cup chopped nuts (optional)

1         cup butterscotch pieces (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Use ungreased cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. (See note below for baking.)

In a large mixer bowl, 
combine the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.

Blend at low speed until smooth. (Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; blend well.


Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture;

blend well. (Using the mixer on lower, scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Stir in the potato flakes by hand along with the nuts if you are using them.


Add the butterscotch pieces stirring until

they are well distributed.


Drop by a tablespoon cookie scoop onto an ungreased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper. I flattened each scoop with my fingers and repaired any breaks along the edges to make the dough smooth.


Bake for 10 minutes for the ungreased cookie sheet or until lightly browned. If you are using parchment paper to line the cookie sheets, bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.


Cool cookies for 1 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling.


No comments:

Post a Comment