Wednesday, December 21, 2022

MOM'S APPLE COBBLER

 The other day I realized I hadn't had anything "sweet" for a while and found this recipe contributed by my friend Sue Brashears in a cookbook from the Park Hill Association of Educational Office Personnel called The Good Cooks' COOK BOOK, Our Favorite Recipes

The recipe is called Mom's Apple Cobbler, but I don't know if it is her mother's recipe or not. The recipe has less liquid than most so the result is more "cake" in the cobbler. 

Wayne really liked it just as it was, but I liked adding a little vanilla ice cream with it. I used stevia when I made it so I could enjoy it and not feel guilty eating the sugar. I like the tartness of added cranberries, so after spreading the apple chunks to the pan, I filled in some holes with cranberries.

PRINT recipe.



MOM'S APPLE COBBLER

1     stick margarine (I used unsalted butter)

1     cup flour

3/4  cup sugar (I used stevia)

1/2  cup milk

1     teaspoon vanilla

2     teaspoons baking powder

3     cups peeled, chopped apples

1/4  cup sugar (I used stevia)

cinnamon

coconut (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Melt the margarine in a 2-quart baking dish in the oven.

Set aside.


Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder to blend.

Then  add the milk and vanilla.
The batter will be thick.

Spread over the margarine. (I tried to "lay" the batter as I spread it over the margarine since the batter was thick using a soup spoon and knife.)


I chopped 3 apples so I had more than 3 cups, but we like plenty of apples.

Spread the apples chunks over the batter.

I filled in the holes with some cranberries. 


Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon (about a tablespoonful) . I didn't use the coconut.

Sprinkle over the apples.

Bake for 45 minutes. 

Cool on a wire rack.


Serve warm... plain

or 
with ice cream


No comments:

Post a Comment