Wednesday, December 28, 2022

DRIED CHERRY WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS

 On Monday I shared a recipe for Apricot Sunshine Muffins that I made to share with some friends for Christmas. We have really enjoyed the few extras I kept for us. Two of the friends that I have heard from couldn't stop raving about them. 

I also made these muffins from the same cookbook, Pillsbury Healthy Baking. The recipe had a different title because they used dried blueberries, but did indicate that you could use dried blueberries, dried tart cherries, dried cranberries, or raisins. Since I had some dried cherries that I had not opened, I thought I would try them for something different. I really liked the results.

PRINT recipe.



DRIED CHERRY WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS

1     cup flour

3/4  cup whole wheat flour

1/2  cup firmly packed brown sugar

2     teaspoons baking powder

1/2  teaspoon baking soda

1/2  teaspoon salt

1     cup buttermilk

1/4  cup oil

2     egg whites

1/2  cup dried tart cherries, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, or raisins


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line the muffin cups with paper baking cups and spray the paper cups with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt;

mix well.


In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, and egg whites;

blend well with a fork.

Add to the dry ingredients all at once;

stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.


Gently stir in the dried fruit.


Because there is always space in the cup when you are measuring dried fruit, I always measure a heaping cup measurement.

Spoon batter evenly into the muffin cups. I use a scoop I have that measures a scant 1/4 cup. I had just a little bit of batter left to make probably one more muffin

so I added just a dab to each cup and smoothed it out.


Bake for 14 to 19 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (I usually press lightly on the center of a muffin to test for doneness.)


Immediately remove from the pan to a wire rack. 








Serve warm.

I am so glad I decided to use the dried cherries instead of blueberries or anything else. They were really yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a way to sign up for your emails again? For some reason I stopped receiving your emails and I really do miss them. I’ve looked on your blog, but I don’t see a way to sign up. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! Kim W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By chance are you on Facebook? That is really the best way to keep up with me. You can search on Facebook for My Patchwork Quilt and like my page. Then you will see when I publish a post and/or just post other things with me that you won't find on the blog. Hope this helps you. Thanks, Kim. Patricia

      Delete