Monday, October 11, 2021

PUMPKIN AND SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

 

Yesterday in Missouri it was Pastor Appreciation Day in United Methodist churches. Two of our pastors came new to us last summer during COVID. The other one came new this summer. Since we weren't able to gather in church during most of COVID, we "met" our Lead Pastor, Yvi, and Choongho, one of our Associate Pastor through online worship. We started meeting back in the church with masks and social distancing the Sunday after Easter this Spring and Jess came in July as our second Associate Pastors. We have been blessed with three outstanding pastors and I wanted to show my appreciation to them by doing one of my favorite things to do - bake and gift my baked goods to others. 

I made three desserts on Saturday and took them to church yesterday morning and let them choose the one they wanted. I saw Yvi first and gave her first choice. This Pumpkin and Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the one she chose. 

If it seems like I left out some pictures, in one way I guess you could say I did. I did, because I was so busy making the recipe that I just forgot to take all the pictures I usually do. I'm sure you can manage okay without them. 

Since I have company in the kitchen while I was working so hard, I had to take a picture to share with you. You will find it after the recipe directions.



PUMPKIN AND SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

Cake Batter:

1       stick of butter (1/2 cup)

1/2    cup sugar

1       teaspoon vanilla

3       eggs

2       cups flour

1       teaspoon baking powder

1       teaspoon soda

1       cup sour cream

Pumpkin Layer:

1-3/4 cups (1 15-ounce can) pumpkin or butternut

1       egg, beaten

1/3    cup sugar

1/2    teaspoon cinnamon

1/4    teaspoon ginger

1/8    teaspoon ground cloves

1/8    teaspoon nutmeg

Streusel:

1       cup brown sugar

1/3    cup flour

1/3    cup butter

2       teaspoons cinnamon

Glaze:

3/4 - 1 cup powdered sugar

1       teaspoon maple flavoring

2       tablespoons milk or coffee (I used skim milk)

1       teaspoon vanilla

2       teaspoons light corn syrup


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish. Set aside.








Prepare the cake batter first.


Cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl

until creamy.

Add eggs and beat well. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture with the sour cream. Set aside.







Prepare the pumpkin layer next.


Combine all of the ingredients listed in another bowl and

mix well with a whisk. Set aside.


Prepare the streusel ingredients with a pastry blender; set aside.


Spoon half of the cake batter into prepared baking dish. This will be a thin layer so spread carefully to cover the bottom of the dish.

Sprinkle half of the streusel over the batter.

Spread the pumpkin mixture over the streusel.

Carefully spread remaining batter over the pumpkin. 







 Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.


A few minutes before it is done, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth.


Drizzle on cake immediately after taking out of oven.

Cool in pan on wire whisk. Most of the glaze will soak into the cake.











Parker (blue collar) and Charlie (red collar) 5 to 6 months old now didn't want to be too far away from me, I guess. They took their whole afternoon nap on a dish towel right in front of the stove.



No comments:

Post a Comment