Friday, October 29, 2021

PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES

I know I said in my post on Wednesday that I would take a break from pumpkin recipes for a couple of posts and what am I sharing today? Pumpkin Snickerdoodles. They only have a hint of a pumpkin taste so if someone doesn't like pumpkin, just tell him or her that they are Snickerdoodles. Everyone likes Snickerdoodles, don't they? So ... sorry.😥

The recipe says it only makes 18 cookies so I baked a dozen and then recovered the dough and put it back in the refrigerator. Looks like I will get more than 6 more cookies.

When I started making the cookies, I realized I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice so I had to mix up some. I shared that recipe at the end. Works great.



PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES

1/2     cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

3/4     cup light brown sugar

1/3     cup pumpkin

1        teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2  cups flour

2        teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1        teaspoon cream of tartar

3/4     teaspoon baking soda

1/2     teaspoon salt

1/4     teaspoon baking powder

Spiced sugar:

3         tablespoons sugar

1-1/2   teaspoons pumpkin pie spice


In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla until well combined. Set aside.


In another mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients - flour, pumpkin pie spice, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.


Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are well mixed.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate until the dough is firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.


When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


Mix up the spiced sugar by stirring in a small bowl the sugar and pumpkin pie spice.

(I mixed up a larger amount of the pumpkin pie spice and shook the ingredients in a small plastic storage container. See recipe below.)


Remove dough from the refrigerator and using a cookie scoop,

scoop out dough and

roll in your hand to make a ball. (I used a  one and a half tablespoon scoop.)

Roll each ball in the spiced sugar until well coated and

place at least 2 inches apart. I only cooked 6 at a time, but I could have baked 12.


Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Cookies should be puffed and set around the edges and beginning to crack on top.

Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes before

removing them to finish cooling on a wire rack.

I only baked 12 cookies so I recovered the bowl of dough and returned it to the refrigerator to bake the next day.



PUMPKIN PIE SPICE

3     teaspoons ground cinnamon

2     teaspoons ground ginger

1     teaspoon ground nutmeg

1     teaspoon ground allspice (I only used 1/2 teaspoon)

1/2  teaspoon ground cloves (I only used 1/4 teaspoon


Combine all spices in and store in an air-tight container. (I reduced the amounts of allspice and cloves because my husband is not fond of them.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment