Wednesday, October 27, 2021

CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN CHILI

 With fall here, come cooler temperatures and shorter days, some of the leaves started turning practically overnight, the World Series has started (I remember when it used to be in September.), the heater has been turned on, summer clothes are packed away and winter clothes have been unpacked. Yes, Fall has definitely arrived in northeast Missouri. It also means is I will be making main dishes that we can enjoy for several days.

That usually means soup, but I didn't fix soup on Monday. Instead I made a pot of chili. I don't think I have ever made chili with chicken, but I have now. Since my total cholesterol was up this summer, I am watching my diet by eating red meat only once a week. That only leaves chicken and fish for me to eat at most meals. Most of the time it hasn't been too hard, but it does make me have to work a little harder to find things to cook. I did buy some ground turkey that I used in place of ground beef for a casserole, but it doesn't taste quite as good substituting the turkey.

Friend Anita shared over the weekend some chicken chili that she had made. I asked her for the recipe and she shared it with me. Except for leaving out the green chilies (she said it was too hot and I can't take heat at all), I planned to make her recipe. Before I got around to it though I remembered I had an envelope of chili seasoning so I ended up with my own chicken chili recipe.

Wayne said it was good (and he likes hot dishes) so I felt it was successful.  You can try my recipe or tweak it into your own.



CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN CHILI

2     (15 - oz) cans black beans, undrained

1      (15 - oz) can fresh cut corn, undrained

1      (15 - oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1       envelope chili seasoning (I used Watkins, but there are other brands you could use.)

shredded cooked chicken (I cooked 2 chicken breast in water and shredded them)

In a large pot, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce temperature to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes to heat through.


Serve with your favorite corn bread or crackers. Will make enough to reheat for several meals depending on the size of your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment