Monday, August 9, 2021

NORTH CAROLINA APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

 After having to reschedule my 6-month teeth cleaning appointment twice, I finally got in last week to get my teeth cleaned. I'm not sure how long I have been doing it, but I take goodies for everyone in the office when I go. I tell them I'm just trying to make sure no one hurts me. They laugh and say "thank you for being so sweet". They don't realize I'm being dead serious! Everyone is so nice and I enjoy seeing them all, but "the dentist office" is not my favorite place to go.

When I chose this recipe for North Carolina Applesauce Muffins, I was choosing it just for them, but as I was mixing them up Thursday morning and read the recipe thoroughly, I got an idea. The recipe is from an Inn in Hendersonville, NC that I don't think still exist because I couldn't find it when I searched for it. In the cooking instructions it says that the batter will keep several days in the refrigerator. 

Since I didn't have much time before my appointment to make the muffins, I decided to just make six and put the rest of the batter in the refrigerator. The next day Friend Janice and I went to estate sales and I didn't have time to make any at all so it just fell into place that I would wait until Saturday morning to cook some more and they would be our special Saturday morning breakfast. (Wayne was playing golf Thursday when I went to the dentist, so he didn't even know what I was making to take for them.)

Both times (that I baked some) they turned out great! The first time that I baked them I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar mix over the top, but forgot then on Saturday. They tasted super both times.



NORTH CAROLINA APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

1/2     cup butter (1 stick), softened or at room temperature

1        cup sugar

1        egg

1        cup unsweetened applesauce

1-1/2  teaspoons cinnamon

1/2     teaspoon cloves

1        teaspoon allspice

1/2     teaspoon salt

1        teaspoon baking soda

2        cups flour

1/2     cup nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line regular sized muffin cups with paper liners or grease the muffin tin. (I used the paper liners but I also sprayed them.)


Cream the butter and sugar til smooth and well blended.

Add the egg.

Stir in the applesauce and spices.

Sift together the salt, baking soda, and flour.

Add to the mixture and beat well.

Stir in the nuts.

Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. 
(I have an ice cream scoop that holds a scant 1/4 cup that worked perfectly.)

Bake for 20 minutes or til done.

The batter keeps well in a refrigerator and baked muffins freeze well (reheat before serving).

I allowed the refrigerated batter to set at room temperature for about 30 minutes before scooping out the batter.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment