Monday, August 23, 2021

HONEY of an OAT BANANA BREAD

 I don't know why but the last bunch of bananas I bought, Wayne has not eaten one of them. Since I only eat them when they are really firm, that means I have a bowl full of bananas that are slowly ripening. (Have you read my post about bananas lasting longer? You don't want to miss this ONE.)

So that meant I had to start looking for some good sounding recipes using bananas. I checked out several cookbooks before picking this recipe called Honey of an Oat Banana Bread in one of my The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. The recipe was compliments of Aunt Polly. I don't know who Aunt Polly is but I best she's a super cook because this Banana Bread is really, really good. Wayne said he could taste the banana more than in a lot of banana recipes. Usually that is the case if the bananas you are using are more ripe, but that's not the case with my bread. I told him it had honey in it, so maybe that gave the bananas more flavor.

I made three mini loaves instead of one 8 x 4 - inch loaf. I prefer to do that since it is just the two of us, I can freeze two loaves while we eat one. Then I can bring one out of the freezer whenever we want one. I found some erythritol in a grocery store and thought I would give it a try. It looks like sugar/Splenda/Stevia. It is a sugar alcohol that is 70% as sweet as sugar. The package recommended using it 1 for 1 in a recipe for sugar if you wanted light sweetness and 1-1/3 for 1 if you wanted to have more sweetness. The recipe calls for 2/3 cup sugar, so I used 3/4 cups of the erythritol. If you can't find it in your local supermarket, you can order it online. So far I am really pleased with it in my baked goods.



HONEY of an OAT BANANA BREAD

2/3     cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup erythritol)

1/3     cup shortening

2        eggs

1/2     cup milk

1-1/2  teaspoons vanilla extract

2/3     cup oats (I used Old Fashioned Oats)

1/2     cup honey

2        medium bananas, mashed

1-1/4  teaspoon baking powder

1/2     teaspoon baking soda

1-3/4  cups flour

1/4     cup nuts (I used walnuts)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray loaf pan(s) (8 x 4 - for one loaf or three mini-loaf pans)


In a mixing bowl beat sugar and shortening together til smooth.

Add eggs, milk, vanilla, oats, honey, bananas, baking powder, and baking soda.

Combine thoroughly and

then add flour and

fold in nuts.

Spoon batter into pan(s).

Bake for 1 hour for one larger loaf or 40 to 45 minutes for mini-loaves. Test doneness by pressing lightly on center of loaf or by the toothpick test.

Allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes in pan(s) on wire rack.


Remove and finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap in foil. Can freeze some for later enjoyment.








Here is a tip you might want to try for mashing the bananas.


I peeled and added the whole bananas to the sugar/shortening mixture and

turned the mixer on to stir at first and then increased speed and letter the beater mash the bananas. Then I added the eggs, milk, vanilla, oats, honey, baking powder, and baking soda. Works great if your bananas are ripe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment