Thursday, August 19, 2021

BLUEBERRY MINI-MUFFINS (NO SUGAR ADDED)

 I made these Blueberry Mini-Muffins for our Saturday morning special breakfast and then ended up giving most of them away to a darling little fan of my cooking. She wasn't with her mother when I gave them to her, but I hope Hazely enjoyed them. They are just the right size for her.

I did make the recipe sugar free which worked out fine with all of the wild frozen blueberries. I found a sugar substitute that I have been experimenting with. I like my stevia with erythritol that I found. Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol that doesn't cause side effects and tastes almost like sugar. It has about 70% of the sweetness of sugar so while you can use half of the called for sugar if it is added with stevia, if you are using it by itself, it is recommended that you use 1-1/3 cups in place of 1 cup of sugar. I will be trying it in more recipes so hope you will check back with me in the future.

>


BLUEBERRY MINI-MUFFINS - NO SUGAR ADDED

2     cups flour

1/2  cup sugar or 2/3 cup erythritol

3     teaspoons baking powder

1/2  teaspoon cinnamon

1/8  teaspoon salt

1     egg

3/4  cup milk

1/3  cup oil

1     teaspoon vanilla extract

1     cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray miniature muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.


In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar/substitute, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt with a whisk. Make a well in the dry ingredients so when you pour in the wet ingredients they won't go to the edge of the mixing bowl. (See picture below.)


Beat egg in a small bowl.

Add the milk, oil, and vanilla; mix well.

Add to dry ingredients;

stir with a wooden spoon just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Carefully fold in blueberries.


Fill cups with about 1-1/2 tablespoons of batter. A cookie scoop works perfectly, if you have one.


Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (I cooked mine the full 15 minutes.)

Remove muffins from pan by running a knife around the insides of the cups and

cool on wire rack. 


The recipe said it would make 36 mini-muffins. I only made 24 and then one mini-bundt muffin.











Batter can be baked in batches. Any batter not bake immediately should be refrigerated and baked as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment