Tuesday, July 20, 2021

PIMENTO CHEESE

 I love pimento cheese sandwiches! I'm not kidding. I could eat one every day. When I was in college, I think the only thing I ever ordered from the Student Union was a pimento cheese sandwich. They made the best ever...toasted bread, plenty of fresh lettuce, and of course, lot of pimento cheese. I can picture it now! YUM

My friend Jim who lives in Des Moines has put on Facebook twice now of buying some ready made at Aldi and how much he is enjoying it. Of course the Aldi we have here in Kansas City doesn't sell it. I guess I have complained enough that the last time we were in Aldi and still couldn't find any, Wayne insisted I buy some cheese and make my own. Of course we had to go to another grocery store to buy the pimento because Aldi didn't have any of it either.

My pimento cheese tasted just a little bit different because Wayne picked out a bag of Colby Jack, a blend of colby and monterey jack finely shredded cheeses. The recipe called for 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, but I used the whole bag , 3 cups, because the cheese was shredded so fine. That meant I needed to add a little more salad dressing, but we liked it. 

The gkids, Madison and Tyler, came over that night to hang out with us while Patrick and Lori played Bags in a Tuesday night league this summer. Madison loved it and said it would be good used as a dip with chips. (You know? She's right!) Tyler is a very finicky eater and has a very limited list of foods he will eat. I tell you this so you can understand why he didn't like it. He used to not like mustard, but he does eat it now. So maybe there is hope for the future.



PIMENTO CHEESE

3     cups shredded cheese (8 ounce block grated) (3 cups finely shredded cheese) Use your favorite cheese

1      (8 - ounce) package of cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat Neufchatel cheese)

2/3   cups Miracle Whip salad dressing or mayo

1/4   teaspoon garlic salt

1      (4 - ounce) jar of diced pimento, draimed


Grate cheese or use a bag of shredded cheese. Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine on medium with electric mixer til all ingredients are well blended.

Stir with spatula to check for smoothness.









I like to make my sandwiches like they made them at the Student Union during my college years.










Store leftovers in a covered bowl in refrigerator. (I did enjoy some one day for lunch with my wheat thins crackers. Oh it was so good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment