Monday, September 28, 2020

PEANUT BUTTER-CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS

 Last Monday I decided to go to the Y and walk my 30 minutes against the current in the lazy river and then go to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to work an hour or two. That meant I couldn't be lazy and lay in bed like I sometimes do. I had made these Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Bars which weren't necessarily an "early morning snack" so that sounded like a good plan.

I got to the Y a little before 8:30 and had to wait a few minutes for a lifeguard to come over to supervise the lazy river. There are three locations for lifeguards at the Y - two sitting in stands watching over pools and then for the lazy river. At the lazy river, the lifeguard walks for the 30 minute shift around the inside of the river (the island). I always feel bad when I am the only person in the river and a lifeguard has to pull duty to make sure I am okay. 

I was almost through with my 30 minutes when several other members started coming to the river. Come to find out a 45 - minute class on the river started at 9. I don't know how I have missed this class, but I had and didn't know anything about it. I knew the teacher Amy and one of the members and joined the class. (I didn't know it was going to last 45 minutes.) Amy started the class with a warm-up walking around twice with the current. I told her I had just finished 30 minutes against the current. She smiled and told me to come on and walk. At 30 minutes I asked her how much longer the class lasted and she said about 13 minutes and didn't want me to quit. After the class ended I was invited to come back on Wednesday when they met at 11:00. After cleaning 2 hours at the thrift shop, I was on my way home about 12:15 exhausted! (When I went back on Wednesday, I only walked 10 minutes against the current before the class started.) I spent the afternoon watching a Hallmark Movie.

I chose this recipe because it was so easy and I knew the volunteers would enjoy the bars. I added a cup of peanut butter chips sprinkled on top which just added  more peanut butter taste. I used smooth peanut butter instead of the chunky. You could use a sugar-free yellow cake mix and reduce the sugar/calories.



PEANUT BUTTER-CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS

1     chocolate chip or yellow cake mix (I used a yellow cake mix with no pudding)

2     eggs

1/3  cup oil

1/2  cup chunky peanut butter (or smooth)

1     cup chocolate chips

3/4 - 1 cup peanut butter chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Mix together the dry cake mix, eggs, and oil Mix in peanut butter.

(I just mixed in the peanut butter with the cake mix, eggs, and oil.)

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pat the mixture into a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Sprinkle enough peanut butter chips to give an even sprinkling.

Bake for 14 - 17 minutes, until golden brown.

Cut into bars to serve.



It's beginning to look like fall. I placed seven pint jars in one side of his granddaddy's tool box and then arranged some artificial fall looking flowers in the jars. I placed it on the hearth in front of the fireplace downstairs in the den. It will be easy to lift up the tool box and move it when we use the fireplace.

Some of the neighbors' maple trees are also starting to turn their beautiful colors, but I haven't taken any pictures yet. Will share some pictures when they have turned more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment