Thursday, September 3, 2020

DAY 175 - KISS O' LEMON POUND CAKE

Monday was the first time I have signed in at the thrift shop since maybe the beginning of the year. I was looking at my calendar on my phone and I don't show any scheduled days in January and February. We were doing so much traveling so we were gone more than we were home from Christmas to March 6. I guess it is possible I had not volunteered any during that time. Anyway Monday instead of going to the Y and walking against the current for 30 minutes in the Lazy River, I went to Hillcrest and worked 1.5 hours doing some deep cleaning. I told several people I don't even do that kind of work at my own house. 😉

But I think it was finally time for me to get out. About a week ago I decided to not look at my newsfeed on Facebook. I just was so tired of all the negativity and rudeness. I do still go to my profile page and posts positive things and also my fan page for this blog. I really miss not seeing the positive things my friends are posting, but I feel so much better since I am not seeing the hatred. Hopefully after the election, I can go back. Will see. 

As usual when I go in to volunteer, I took a treat for the other volunteers. I found this 1990's recipe in that folder I have mentioned before of Recipes to Try Soon. Needless to say, Life happened and I am finally getting around to trying some of them. It was on a page advertising Quaker Oats. The recipe suggested serving it with raspberries, but that's kinda hard to do at the thrift shop. The volunteers thought it was delicious just as it was.


KISS 0' LEMON POUND CAKE

1       cup quick of old fashioned oats, uncooked (I used old fashioned)
1-3/4 cups flour
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt (optional)
1-1/4 cups sugar
1       cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3       eggs
2       tablespoons grated lemon peel
3/4    cup milk
powdered sugar
One 10-oz pkg. frozen red raspberries, thawed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan. Set aside.

In a blender, blend oats about 1 minute.
Combine with flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Beat sugar and butter
until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon peel; mix well. (Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl often.)

Add dry ingredients(3 times) alternately with milk(2 times), mixing until blended. 




Pour into pan.

Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
Remove to wire rack; cool completely. 

















Sprinkle with powdered sugar. If using raspberries, blend raspberries until smooth in blender. Serve with pound cake. (I wrapped the loaf in foil and sprinkled it with powdered sugar before I cut it in slices to serve to the volunteers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment