Wednesday, March 27, 2019

COCONUT BLUEBERRY CAKE

It always takes me a while to get back into the routine of "blogging" after we have been traveling. I know I haven't been very regular with my posts. Bear with me. I will get back to my new normal of three posts a week. I couldn't have picked a better recipe to share with you as I attempt this.

I almost always take something sweet to share with the volunteers at the thrift shop where I volunteer. Last week I didn't get anything made because we didn't get back from my hometown until Monday evening and I was tired after the long drive. It was almost like everyone knew and no one asked me what goodie I had brought for them. (I do hate to when I don't bring something and have to tell them so when they ask me what I brought.)

Well, yesterday I did bring this Coconut Blueberry Cake and so when Tanya asked me if I brought anything, I didn't have to disappoint her. I couldn't believe how many people told me how good the cake was. I laughed when Laura, who also works one of the registers, told me she cut a piece in half and then ended up taking the other half after she ate the first one. I admit, my husband Wayne and I ate our piece Monday night after I had made it and enjoyed it very much. Then I covered it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Tuesday morning when I took it out of the refrigerator it looked very moist. I didn't eat another piece, but I suspect that it was better and more moist the next day.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


COCONUT BLUEBERRY CAKE

2         cups flour
1         cup sugar
3         teaspoons baking powder
1/4      teaspoon salt
2         eggs
1         cup milk
1/2      cup oil
1-1/2   cups fresh or frozen blueberries (If berries are frozen, do not thaw them before adding to batter.)
1         cup flaked coconut


LEMON SAUCE:

1/2      cup sugar
4-1/2   teaspoons cornstarch
1         teaspoon grated lemon peel (I used the dried lemon peel)
1         cup water
1         tablespoon butter
2         tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
Beat the eggs, milk, and oil in a smaller bowl.
(Measure the milk and oil together in a glass 2 cup measure. I didn't, but you could add the eggs to the measuring cup and beat together and have one less bowl to clean up.)
Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture just until moistened using a wooden spoon.
Fold in the blueberries.


Pour into prepared pan.
Sprinkle with the coconut. 
Bake for 22 - 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted near the center of the cake. (I did bake mine the full 24 minutes.)
Cool in pan on wire rack.


(After cake has cooled) in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel.
Gradually add water and
stir until blended.
Bring to boil over medium heat. Cook and continue to stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon juice.
Cut cake into squares (24) and
then drizzle with the lemon sauce. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. (or if you are serving the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment