Monday, March 18, 2019

CHERRY COFFEE CAKE

I decided I would make this Cherry Coffee Cake even though Mrs Paul Graber didn't say what size pan to use. The recipe is another fabulous one in the Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook I have. It sounded just right for the Mexican Train gathering at Friend Fran's house last Thursday. (I always make dessert for Fran whenever she hosts our gatherings because she doesn't cook that much anymore and I do enjoy baking.

As I said Mrs. Graber didn't indicate what size pan to use. I was looking for a dessert baked in a smaller pan than a 9 x 13 - inch because I didn't want to have leftovers. I was thinking since she only used one can of cherry pie filling, it might work in a smaller pan. (* See below) - I used a dish about 7 x 11 - inches. As it baked, I kept watching it in the oven because I was afraid it was going to run over. Fortunately it didn't but I did have to bake it 40 minutes. It was fine, but I would recommend using a larger pan than that. You could use a 9 x 13 - inch pan and the cake would be thinner but you also would not have a complete cover of cherries from the can of pie filling. I like a "cherry in each bite". That's why I used the smaller dish. Next time I will use my casserole dish that says it is 2 quarts. I think it is about 8 x 12 - inches.

I cut the dessert in 9 large squares. I expected to hear, "I just want a small piece", but I didn't. AND no one complained that I had given them too big of a piece. What I did hear was how good it was! Since I used sugar in the "cake" part and did not use a "No-Sugar-Added" Cherry Pie Filling, I decided to use stevia for the sugar in the topping. It was fine and I saved some sugar calories.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



CHERRY COFFEE CAKE

2       cups flour
2       teaspoons baking powder
1       cup sugar
1/2    cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1       egg and milk to make 1 cup
1       can cherry pie filling

Topping:
1       cup flour
1       cup sugar (I used stevia)
1/2    cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a rectangular dish approximately 8 x 12 inches. (* See above.) Set aside.

Mix together the flour, sugar, and baking powder with a whisk.
Cut in butter as for pie dough. (Okay if small lumps of butter remain.)
I did use my mixer to do this after I thinly sliced the butter. 
Break egg into measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid.
Beat with a fork.
Add to dry mixture
and stir.
Spread in pan.
Using a spoon cover the batter with the cherry pie filling.
Mix topping ingredients cutting the butter in to make crumbs. I did this in three steps.
I also usually end up using my fingers.
Sprinkle over the pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done and lightly golden brown. (* See above.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut in squares to serve.


The only time I won was the first "game". It was the first time I have ever been able to make my train using all of my dominoes.
The bad thing was Friend Carol didn't have a 12 to start her train and had to count up all of her dominoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment