Wednesday, February 20, 2019

BLUEBERRY DROP BISCUITS

Prize Winning Blueberry Recipes is a delightful little booklet cookbook from the North American Blueberry Council in Marmora, New Jersey. Not only do they provide a variety of recipes using blueberries, but you can also learn the history of blueberries and some basic facts on nutrition and purchasing blueberries. My copy was from the fourth printing - 1983; the first printing was in 1977.

There are a number of recipes I want to try from this little cookbook, but I chose the drop biscuits to try first. I thought they would be a nice treat for my husband Wayne for breakfast last Saturday morning. He was quite pleased and thankful! 

My regular biscuits that I make are baked at 450 degrees F. This recipe said 400 degrees F. I baked them at that temperature, but ended up adding an additional 5 minutes because even though they looked done, they were a little gooey in the center. Since the recipe made 11 biscuits in my pan, we were able to enjoy them reheated for several days. To reheat biscuits (and even pizza), I place them in a metal pie plate I have in the oven and turn it on to preheat to 350 degrees F. When it reaches that temperature, I remove the biscuits or pizza and they are nice and hot.




BLUEBERRY DROP BISCUITS

2     cups prepared biscuit mix
1     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4  cup light cream or milk (I did use fat-free milk)
 1    cup fresh or dry-pack frozen blueberries, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (I may try 425 degrees F the next time.)


Combine the biscuit mix and spices with a whisk.
Add milk, all at once.
Stir until just blended.
Fold in blueberries.
Drop by large spoonfuls (I used a medium size ice cream scoop that I have.) onto a greased cookie sheet. (I am not crazy about drop biscuits so I used my iron biscuit pan and dropped a scoop of dough on each section and then flattened it with a knife.)
Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment