Monday, February 18, 2019

APPLE PUDDING CAKE

This is the first Amish pudding cake I have made recently. It was in 2012 that I made my first Ozark Pudding and was surprised at the consistency of it. When I talked about it on my post, a reader on Facebook told me that's what they looked like. (I can't remember her exact words.😞) Anyway, so since then, I know what to expect when I made a cake that is called a pudding.

When I saw this recipe for Apple Pudding Cake in a Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook compiled by Esther N. Troyer of Jamesport, Missouri. It was so delicious and the volunteers at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop aka Hillcrest Thrift Shop. They changed to name to be more inclusive to HPC - Hillcrest Platte County but people still refer to it by the old name.)

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



APPLE PUDDING CAKE

1/2       cup margarine (I used unsalted butter.)
1          cup sugar (may use brown sugar which I did)
1          egg
2          cups shredded apple (about 2 medium apples)
1-1/2    cups flour (can use 1/2 cup wheat flour, if desired)
1/2       cup milk
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon nutmeg
1/2       teaspoon cinnamon
1          teaspoon soda
1          teaspoon vanilla
1/2       cup chopped nuts
1/2       cup raisins

.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


Cream butter and sugar;
add egg,
then the apples.
Add milk,
then flour that has been
sifted with the other dry ingredients.
Add nuts and raisins.
Spread in baking pan.
Bake 45 minutes.
Cool in pan on wire rack. 












Can be iced or served warm with whipped cream or dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Cut in squares to serve.



5 comments:

  1. Is there a pudding mix in this cake? Why is it called pudding cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Marie, there isn't. I'm not sure why they are called "pudding" just know they are. The ones I have made all had fruit in them of some kind and had the same cake consistency. This one is especially moist. Patricia

      Delete
  2. Thanks, maybe "pudding" is like the English word for dessert. ? Thanks will definitely try this. Marie from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this same recipe for over 30 years and it has always just been called Apple cake. I think people just change the names of many recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, It is possible. I just found the recipe in an Amish cookbook. It has the same consistency as a date pudding cake I also found in an Amish cookbook. Patricia

      Delete