Tuesday, December 11, 2018

APPLE-SCOTCH SNACK CAKE

The last two times I have worked at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop), I went without some dessert to treat the volunteers. Each time someone asked me what I had brought and that made me feel even worse. I knew I couldn't go empty handed yesterday or they were going to "fire" me. 

I wanted to take something different and special and turned to this recipe for Apple-Scotch Snack Cake from a new cookbook Friend Jean got for me called simply Amish Cooking. No author is given just the publishing company, Publications International, Ltd. I'm glad the volunteers were not disappointed as I received a number of very positive compliments.

Click here for printable version of just the recipe.


APPLE-SCOTCH SNACK CAKE

Topping
2/3       cup quick or old fashioned oats (I did use quick oats)
6          tablespoons flour
4          tablespoons butter, softened
3          tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

Cake
2-1/4    cups flour
1          cup quick or old fashioned oats (I used quick oats)
1          tablespoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
1          cup firmly packed brown sugar
2          eggs
1-1/4    cups milk
6          tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1          teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3    cups peeled and finely chopped apple
1-1/3    cups butterscotch flavored morsels, divided
1-1/2    teaspoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.








For Topping
 
 Combine the oats flour, butter, and brown sugar in a small bowl.
(With clean hands), mix until crumbly;
set aside.
(If you cut the butter in slices and work in a slice at a time, it goes much easier. I always use my fingers but couldn't help but laugh when the recipe said "with clean hands".)






For Cake
 
Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Combine the brown sugar and eggs
with a whisk.
Whisk in milk melted butter and vanilla.
Add to flour mixture all at once;
add apples.
Stir gently until just combined.
Pour into pan.
Sprinkle with 1 cup butterscotch morsels;
crumble topping evenly over morsels.


Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it when inserted in the center.
Remove from oven to wire rack.
Microwave remaining 1/3 cup morsels and the 1-1/2 teaspoons milk in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds;
stir
until smooth.
Carefully drizzle over hot cake in pan.
Cool in pan at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares to serve. May serve warm or at room temperature. Store tightly covered at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment