Friday, September 16, 2016

LEMON BUTTERMILK BARS

I know buttermilk turns some people off. I like to use buttermilk in recipes because I think it makes the dishes more moist. 

When I made these Lemon Buttermilk Bars to share with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Wednesday, I didn't tell everyone they were "buttermilk bars". As different ones came by the register (after trying one), they all told me how much they liked the "lemon bars" I had brought. I didn't correct them. 

The lemon cake mix does give them a strong lemon taste and they do remind you somewhat of traditional lemon bars. Another great thing about them and something I always look for when I am skimming through recipes is they were so easy.

It is not unusual for me to make some changes in recipes I find and this one was not different. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup sugar in the "topping" and I decided the sugar in the lemon supreme cake mix would be plenty. I substituted stevia for the sugar and it worked out perfectly. 

The recipe came from one of my favorite cookbooks, Quick Fixes with Mixes - Cakes, Cookies, Bars & Goodies - Great tasting desserts made with mixes by Lia Wilson. I have made so many recipes from this cookbook. (and still have a bunch to make)


LEMON BUTTERMILK BARS

1       lemon cake mix with pudding
4      eggs
2      tablespoons oil
1       cup buttermilk
1/2   cup butter or margarine, melted
3/4  cup sugar or stevia
1       teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Pour cake mix into large mixing bowl. Remove 1 cup and set aside.

Add 1 egg and oil with remaining cake mix in bowl; blend well.




Press batter into bottom of greased 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. 

Tip! When I have to do this and I know the mixture will be a thin layer, I drop most of it in small amounts around the bottom of the pan.
I leave a little for the end to fill in to the places that need it.

In another mixing bowl, beat the other 3 eggs, buttermilk, butter, sugar or stevia, and vanilla until well blended.

Slowly add the reserved 1 cup of cake mix and beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth (about 2 minutes).

Pour mixture over cake mix pressed in the pan.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned on top.

Cool and then cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment