Tuesday, September 27, 2016

SOFT & CHEWY COOKIES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

My husband and I were asked to host one of the gatherings that our church was having to better inform the congregation about the upcoming capital campaign drive to finish paying for the construction of our new sanctuary, gathering area, and youth area. Each gathering started with a social time when we were to have "finger foods" for everyone to enjoy. Since our gathering was in the middle of the afternoon and mainly for retirees, I decided they would probably enjoy having a variety of cookies to choose from. 

When trying to choose a variety of cookies to make, I knew I wanted to have some sugar-free or limited sugar ones for any diabetics, a few that were glutton-free, and then of course some regular ones. 

I had a recipe for some applesauce cookies that my dil Sara once made that I had shared that I knew would be good for those people needing little sugar. Sara called them Sugar Free Applesauce Cookies. A reader commented that they were not sugar free and I should try again. Technically they aren't sugar free because apples have natural sugar in them. But that little bit of natural sugar is the only sugar in them as I substituted an artificial sweetener for the cup of sugar. You can use Splenda or stevia as they both work well in baking. I prefer the stevia but either one works. I guess the correct title should be No Sugar Added Applesauce Cookies.   

I had shared another recipe for some cookies that I called Less Cookies because they were Eggless, Dairyless, Flourless, with No Sugar Added Cookies. I knew it would be easy to make glutton-free if I used glutton-free oats for the oats. I didn't have the almond milk so mine wouldn't be dairyless. There is plenty of natural sugar in the cookies from the applesauce and the raisins. Since my focus was on glutton-free, I didn't worry about the dairy or natural sugar.

I made a loaf of my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread to share also so I wanted to make sure I had some non-chocolate cookies. (chocolate chips are okay. tee-hee) The statement at the bottom of the recipe for these Soft & Chewy Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookies that the cookies were softer the second day appealed to me as I was spending my Sunday afternoon baking most of the cookies.  I found the recipe in one of my Favorite Brand Name Cookbook - Bake Sale. They included a picture of them on the next page and they looked yummy.



SOFT & CHEWY COOKIES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1          cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutes)
3/4     cup packed light brown sugar
1/2      cup granulated sugar
1/4      cup light corn syrup
1          egg
2         teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1          teaspoon baking soda
1/4      teaspoon salt
1          package (10 or 12 ounces) Chocolate Chips or Baking Bits (any flavor) (I used a 12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. (I admit I didn't read the recipe carefully and add the corn syrup with the butter and other sugars.


Add the corn syrup, egg, and vanilla,
beat well.


Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture,
beating until well blended.


Stir in chips or bits.


Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I always use my cookie scoop which hold 1 tablespoon of water.)


Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and almost set. (In my new gas oven, I cooked mine the full 10 minutes.)


Cool slightly on cookie sheet;


remove from cookie sheet and finish cooling on wire rack.




Cookies will be softer the second day.


I used my 9 x 13 - inch baking pan that has a plastic cover and layered the cookies (a dozen on each layer) separating them with wax paper.

Here is a picture of Sara's Sugar Free Applesauce Cookies I baked.


and a picture of my Glutton-Free version of the Eggless, Dairyless, Flourless with No Sugar Added Cookies I baked.


No comments:

Post a Comment