Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"SKINNY" PEANUT BUTTER-OATMEAL COOKIES

Peanut butter cookies are my husband's favorite.  He also likes golden raisins.  When I saw this recipe for peanut butter - oatmeal cookies, I couldn't help but notice they also had golden raisins. They have to be a winner, I thought.  And they are!  

The recipe was in my spiral notebook that I have talked about before.  I think I cut it out of either a Woman's Day or Family Circle magazine.  It was featured as a LOW COST cookie at only 12 cents/cookie.  I'm sure that isn't true at today's prices, but that isn't why I made them.

They also said it made 52 cookies at 81 calories/cookie.  My recipe made 47 and I "did the math" and my cookies came out at 65 calories/cookie.  So I renamed them...."SKINNY"  

I was also pleased that the whole wheat pastry flour didn't affect the great taste of the peanut butter and oats.  As usual with my recipes, feel free to substitute all-purpose flour and the regular sugars.  BUT my version did make a really good cookie. 




"SKINNY" PEANUT BUTTER-OATMEAL COOKIES

1        stick (1/2 cup) butter/margarine, softened  (I use Country Crock sticks)
1        cup creamy peanut butter
1/4    cup packed brown sugar blend (or 1/2 cup packed brown sugar)
1/4    cup stevia/sugar blend (or  1/2 cup sugar)
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1       large egg
1       teaspoon vanilla extract
1       cup whole wheat pastry flour
1       cup quick oats
1/2    cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl with mixer on medium speed, beat margarine and peanut butter until creamy.

Add sugars, baking powder, and baking soda; beat until fluffy.

Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.

With mixer on low speed,, beat in flour and oats, just until blended.

Stir in raisins.

Using a cookie scoop (1 tablespoon), place dough 2 inches apart.

Flatten with a fork.  (see tip below)

Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned.

Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 47 cookies 65 calories each.






TIP!!!  

When flattening cookie dough with fork:

Dip fork in a cup of water so the dough won't stick to tines of fork.  You can flatten 3 or 4 before you will need to "dip" again.


No comments:

Post a Comment