Monday, February 24, 2014

PISTACHIO CREAM PIE

I have created a delicious dessert to serve for St. Patrick's Day... Pistachio Cream Pie.

At a recent estate sale, Janice and I were looking at a collection of cookbooks when I saw a standing recipe card file for festive holiday recipes. Thinking I might see a recipe or two that appealed to me, I opened it up and flipped over to the desserts. The first recipe was a pistachio dessert. I didn't even notice the name of the dessert, but I did remember the basics of the recipe.

I did have to buy another box of pistachio pudding, but I had the rest of the ingredients. Since I started this blog, I have learned so much. Now, half the time, when I see a recipe, my brain immediately starts working and I start thinking about how I can make it my "own". I even created my own original recipe ... COCONUT BANANA BUNDT CAKE.  It is so moist and really, really good.

Anyway, when I was preparing to make the dessert, I decided to make it as a pie, instead of a 9 x 13 - inch pan. I had already decided to use my gingersnap cookie crumbs for the crust instead of the Ritz crackers. As it turned out, I am glad I decided to make these changes. It would have been a really thin dessert if I had made it in the rectangular pan. Since I failed to notice what the title of the dessert was, I decided to give it a name that seemed to suit my changes.  




PISTACHIO CREAM PIE

2        pkgs (4-serving sizes) instant (sugar-free) pistachio pudding mixes 
1-1/2  cups (skim) milk
1         pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1         crust - graham cracker crust or (gingersnap) cookie crumb crust (a chocolate crust would taste good, too)
8        ounce carton of whipped topping


Mix the two pudding mixes with the milk in a large mixing bowl until thick.



Add the ice cream and stir until completely combined.



Pour into the crust.









Place in freezer til frozen.  


Top with cool whip. 








If you like, you can garnish the top with chopped candy pieces or chocolate curls.

Will need to set out before ready to serve to soften enough to cut. I had to let mine set for an hour because I left it in the freezer 5 or 6 hours. I would recommend freezing it for an hour, then adding the whipped topping, and then returning it to refrigerator for several hours before ready to serve. You can enjoy the pistachio taste more when the pie is thawed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment