Thursday, August 29, 2013

UNBELIEVABLE BROWNIES

Looks like we are finally going to have some temps in the 90s before the summer is over.  It has really been a mild summer here in KC.  My husband has enjoyed it.  Unfortunately my garden, or I should say, my attempt at gardening this summer has not enjoyed it.  

I didn't even get my tomato plants in the ground until the beginning of June. I also planted one pepper plant in a big pot on our deck.  The little pepper that was starting is maybe twice the size it was when I planted it.  No more blooms though.  The only thing growing in the garden area is weeds.  The tomato plants have grown but that is all.  No tomatoes.  Just wasn't hot enough.

I guess I am fortunate that my friend Kay's garden has done well.  She has generously given me several zucchinis from her garden.  My husband has really enjoyed the squash she has given us.  She gave me this really BIG zucchini.  (She didn't see it on the plant.) I think it was 14 inches long and 11 inches around at biggest end. Well, I made ZUCCHINI MEATLOAF, sweet zucchini butter bread, ROBIN'S ZUCCHINI BREAD,and finally these zucchini brownies from it.  





I found this cake-like brownie from Sparks recipes back earlier in the summer. I only made a few changes from the original recipe but they are so fabulous tasting, I can't believe my changes made any difference. I, at least, feel less guilty eating them.




LOW FAT, REDUCED SUGAR ZUCCHINI BROWNIES


1       4-oz single serving unsweetened applesauce (or 1/2 cup)
1/2    cup mashed bananas (1 large banana)
3/4    cup stevia/sugar blend (or 1-1/2 cups sugar)
2       teaspoon vanilla
1/2    cup special dark cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon salt
2       cups finely shredded zucchini
2       cups soft wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
1/2    cups chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Mix together the applesauce, mashed banana, and sugar. 

Add the vanilla and cocoa.  Mix well.

Add the baking soda, salt, and zucchini.

Add the flour and nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pan 














and bake 25 minutes or until the center springs back when touched gently in the center.














Cool in pan on wire rack completely before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment